Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752505 Members
5437 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCA encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory

Re: VCA encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory

Paul, Thank you for helping me solve this problem but I am a little confused by your response. Are you saying that you can't pull up the page or you don't get the error when it is pulled up?
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Did you install the 7.60 version? It almost sounds like you did not configure the vcagent component before you installed it.

Rancher: at one point his one may have had 7.60A I am unsure. However in my recent troubleshooting I did install 7.90a using the cached VCA config. That config looks accurate, I just re-checked it
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Interesting. I still have some W2K servers, they are all on PSP 7.60 (letest PSP for W2K) with no problems.
Just rcently HP's site said the new VCA was compatible with W2K, but I could not get it to even install!

You might try this on one of your W2K servers, if you have a test box. Log onto the server go to Add Remove Programs, and uninstall the Version Control Agent. Reboot the server. Copy the executable for the VCA from your Sims repository to the server desktop. Then install it manually and configure it as you go along. Reboot the server, then run an Identify System and a software poll on the server.

Solved!

I decided to again compare a working server to a non working server and found something I missed earlier!

-Services
--SNMP Service
---Properties
----security Tab
-----Accept SNMP packets from these hosts
------ADD localhost

That was what I was missing in all (so far) of the servers that were having this error.

I am not sure how this happened, maybe a repair agent or install software with a bad config?

In any case, I am grateful for the help from here, it led me right to it.

closing thread. thanks again
Timmy Ho
Occasional Advisor

Under Computer Management> Services> SNMP service> right click "properties">

add "localhost" to Traps and Security Tab

restart HP Version Control Agent