108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCA error on DL380G4

LoewyIT
Occasional Advisor

VCA error on DL380G4

Hi,

The VCA is producing the following error whilst browsing to it locally

"The Version Control Agent encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory"

If I go into the VCA log it gives

"An error occurred while performing an operating system specific operation."

followed by

"The Version Control Agent encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory."

The VCA is running correctly, and can be stsrted and stopped with no errors.

SNMP is setup with no security (accept from any host) and an SNMP community string set.

I have tried uninstalling, rebooting and the reinstalling the VCA with no improvement.

The rest of the agents are functioning correctly
12 REPLIES 12
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

What version of the VCA and VCRM?

How have you configured access to the VCRM? The easiest way is to set up a local admin account on the Server that hosts the VCRM. It is those credentials the VCA uses for access, unless you're running an older version of the VCA or VCRM.
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

Hiya,

I've got the same problem with 1 server - it was running SMH 2.0.2.106 & VCA 2.1.1.720 & Agents 7.30

It also shows NULL as the System Model on the SMH

I upgraded to SMH 2.1.4.143 & VCA 2.1.2.740 and restarted all the agents/snmp but it's still the same..

Haven't rebooted it yet as it's production but I may try upgrading to 7.41..
LoewyIT
Occasional Advisor

VCRM is 2.1.3.740 and is runing fine for other servers. The VCA version I've re-installed is 2.1.2.740

access to the VCRM is via a domainuser\pass which works correctly for other servers
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I have just been struggling with the same issue. Managed to sort out the problem by adding "localhost" and SIM server IP to traps and security tabs under SNMP properties. Find the settings under:
Start->Contorl Panel->Administrative Tools-> Services->SNMP.
LoewyIT
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

This doesn't apply as I have SNMP set to allow from any host (yes I know its a security risk, but I wanted to make sure that this wasn't the problem).

Cheers
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

ok,

That setting I guess is assigned under Security tab, what have u assigned under Traps tab?
LoewyIT
Occasional Advisor

The traps tab is blank.

The traps tab is for sending SNMP traps to an SNMP manager (if a condition that matches a predefined state occurs), it is not used by VCA
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

You are right about that. Thnx for pointing it out. Tested a few settings out here and got the error when I had no community strings enabled.
timmil
Occasional Visitor

have the same problem on two of 4 Servers, same os / Patch level (w2k3) and same vca release