New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCA now reports all Array Controllers - status Minor

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

VCA now reports all Array Controllers - status Minor

Hi All,
I've updated to 7.80 on a couple of servers and they're all now showing various RAID Device Drivers as out of date but will not update them.

This is on a DL380 G3, which has a 5i Controller, but it is now showing devices like the "LSI CSB-6 Ultra ATA-100 Driver" as out of date in the VCA.
This in turns keeps the status as yellow.

I've checked and there is nn old driver on the server, but there seems to be these drivers on all of our servers, from what I can see it's part of a standard W2K3 installation.
A server with these drivers installed but not yet updated to 7.80 doesn't list these in the VCA.
Is there anything that can be changed so that the behaviour returns to normal?
I updated the VCRM to the latest version but that hasn't changed the behaviour.

45 REPLIES 45
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Anyone else seeing this - it's the same on every server we've updated so far.
It doesn't matter what Array Controller is installed, it reports every other variant as out of date, except for the one you have.

I don't care what the driver version is for array controllers I don't have!
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

Maybe off topic but I saw the slightly the same symptoms with a clean Windows 2003 Server x64 SP2 Standard Edition with PSP7.80 in $OEM$ driver structure.

I can't remember exactly but after installing, PSP 7.80 told me that there was another Array Controller beside the (only) P400 who needs to be updated.

My guess is that the 'in the box' 'P400 driver' of Windows 2003 x64 stays loaded after the installation. Guess this 'in the box' (generic) driver shows to PSP 7.80 as another controller which was only used when installing the os.

Windows 2003 32bit did not show this behaviour.

Anyway .. you can look in 'device manager' under 'view' -> 'show hidden devices'.
Maybe it's listed there, I found my 'orphaned' driver there.

Regards,
Arian!

Rancher
Honored Contributor

Rob,
I have only updated to version 7.80 on two servers, but I am seeing the same thing you are on one of them so far. The server this is happening on is a Blade BL20p G2. The ML370 G4 is not having the issue.

I am going to roll 7.80 out to a couple more servers today and we will see what happens!

PS. My Sims server is completely updated and patched.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I have two drivers that won't update. I just read the Component Details and found this on an earlier revision (two updates from what I have installed):

Component installer was enhanced to leave the component XML file (cpxxxxxx.xml) in a known location (%SystemDrive%\CPQSYSTEM\) so the HP Management and Version Control agents can retrieve information about the installed components on the server.

I am going to try to find that version of the driver, install it, and then try to install the latest. Maybe this will fix it!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I'll have a bit more of a dig around today.
I believe W2K3 installs versions of drivers for all known arrays on installation, so they will be there. Up to now the VCA has correctly recognised the fact they are there but aren't needed.
It seems to have got something wrong on the recent release. Maybe it's just a matter of editing an XML file somewhere as a short term fix to get the reporting accurate again.
Christopher Knight
Frequent Advisor

We are seeing this as well on our BL20p blades with 7.80 Agents. The Drivers that are showing our dated are:

HP StorageWorks Fibre Channel Array Notification Driver for Windows Server 2003
Installed Version: 5.30.0.32
Support Pack Version: 6.0.0.32

HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003
Installed Version: 5.2.0.32
Support Pack Version: 6.6.0.32

HP ProLiant CSB-6 ATA-100 IDE RAID Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003 Installed Version: 4.1.730.2003
Support Pack Version: 4.2.805.2005

HP ProLiant 64-Bit/133-MHz Single/Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA and SCxxXe series SCSI HBA Driver for Windows Server 2003
Installed Version: 1.10.5.2
Support Pack Version: 1.21.8.0

When you try to force the installation of one of these drivers you get the following message:
The software will not be installed on this system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to this system.

Installation will not continue
Christopher Knight
Melissa O'Brien
Frequent Advisor

We are seeing the exact same behavior! It is actually the new Version Control Agent software that's doing it - cp007354.exe. The description for this enhancement is "Integrated discovery module".

As a workaround you may be able to revert to a previous version of the VCA software.

We currently have similar case open with HP as we've seen this problem using P2P with the 7.6 version of VCA but they haven't come back with anything useful yet.

Hopefully now that they've released 7.8 and more people are experiencing the problem they'll actually fix it!
Christopher Knight
Frequent Advisor

Reverting to the previous version of the Version Control Agent (ver. 2.1.7.770) has resolved the issue for us. Unfortunatly now the VCA is showing as minor but oh well! I guess we'll have to wait for HP to fix it.
Christopher Knight
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I will try that. It is odd that it doesn't happen on all of the servers. If I recall, I need to uninstall the old VCA first, before I downgrade.