New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCA now reports all Array Controllers - status Minor

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Rancher,
You could try looking to see if the old drivers are actually installed on the servers not showing the issue.
Get the cp file, extract it and look for the driver and then search for it.

It may be on the servers that are okay some of the unused drivers were not installed.
Not too sure how that would happen.
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

Maybe you can execute PSP 7.80 locally on the server itself?

This way you can also see if the 'ghost' device is detected other than by the VCA itself.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

They're not ghost devices as such, it's just that Windows installs versions of all the drivers it might need during installation.

In previous versions of the VCA it seemed to work out that the device wasn't there and therefore wouldn't try and load an updated driver. This has changed, the VCA now seems to see the unused driver and then thinks it needs to update it. The actual install script (cpnnnn.exe) knows better and reports an update isn't required.

This is a change in behaviour of the VCA, and probably means that most users will no longer have a VCA that reports OK with 7.80.
Melissa O'Brien
Frequent Advisor

We've actually experienced this problem with the following drivers since PSP 7.6:

-AMD 800Chipset Support for Proliant Servers for Windows 2000/Windows 2003
-ATI2MPAD Miniport Driver (or HP Proliant ATI RAGE XL Video Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003)
- HP Proliant Smart Array Device Manager Extension for Windows 2000/Server 2003

We use sysprepped Ghost images across models and it's almost as if VCA is tripping over the Plug and Play of the newer drivers. Unfortunately HP does not support Ghost images (Altiris/RDP only) so we replicated the same problem with the P2P product and we now have an open case. I will let everyone know if they come up with a resolution or workaround!

The VCA seems overly sensitive with any driver that may have been present on the machine at one time. ??
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Rob, I will check to see if the drivers asre actually installed per your suggestion.

Arian, I have deployed PSP 7.80 on the servers in question.

The server I am seing this on was deployed through RDP. The server I don't have the issue on was a ghost image.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I just tried Rob's suggestion for the two drivers in question on my server and this gets even more interesting.
One of the drivers is actually installed, and does look to be part of the 2003 iinstallation.
However, the other driver is NOT installed and when I researched it on HP's site, it is not even supported for this model of server!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Rancher,
Now you're just getting weird on me, I thought I understood what was happening!
What the VCA is doing at your site is a bit stranger than what I've observed here.
It would be nice if we saw an HP response, especially as it doesn't just seem to be a one person seeing the issue.
Looks like a call may need to be logged.
Rogier Boeken
Frequent Advisor

fyi: i am having same issues with VCA agent reporting drivers in minor state since upgrading to 7.80

i cannot install the drivers manually on the server as it says driver is not supported

Rancher
Honored Contributor

Rob, I agree, it IS getting weirder!

I have only deployed 7.80 to some test servers so far. One is an ML370 G4 and I am not seeing this issue on that box.

The other is a blade BL20p G2. The one driver is wants that is NOT installed is for the HP ProLiant CSB-6 ATA-100 IDE RAID Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003.
I checked HP's site, and this driver is only supported on a HP ProLiant ML330 G3 Server!

Both of these servers are 2003, SP1.

Curiouser and curiouser!
tmsmithvcs
Occasional Contributor

I will wait to see if someone comes up with a solution. Maybe the next VCA will correct this problem.