108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCA upgrade with 7.40A agents

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Giordano
Frequent Advisor

VCA upgrade with 7.40A agents

I'm testing upgrading our server agents to 7.40A by only installing the following:

HP Insight Agents for win2k/2k3 - 7.40
HP System Mgmt Homepage for Win - 2.1.2.127
Version Control Agent for Win - 2.1.2.740

This prevents me from having to reboot (and allows me to do it during the day not need a change request). But after installation of these three components I'm getting a timeout error loading data when connecting to the Sys Mgmt homepage and VCA page. Looking in the Sys Mgmt homepage log I see the following activity:

INFORMATION LOG (severity=0) Fri Dec 23 10:16:01 2005
Unable to load certificate file during SSL Server Initialization

INFORMATION LOG (severity=0) Fri Dec 23 10:16:05 2005
A new self signed certificate was generated.

Certificate was successfully secured via the file system protection.

A new private key was generated.

Private key was successfully secured via the file system protection.

In this environment the Trust relationship is set to Trust All. The three components installed were configured before installation and deployed using the Remote Deployment Utility. Are there other components that have to be upgraded as well to allow these to function properly?
15 REPLIES 15
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

Looks like VCA is timing out. Please make sure that VCA can connect to VCRM with appropriate credentials and can retrieve the PSP information. You might want to upgrade VCRM to the latest version if the installed version is 2.0.7.10 or less.

-Anantha
Steve Giordano
Frequent Advisor

Current version of VCRM is 2.1.3.740. I have other servers that were built from scratch and the full PSP installed that are working with the VCA and VCRM fine. Can I just upgrade the VCA, Sys Mgmt homepage and SIM Agents on each server as opposed to running the full PSP install and rebooting? We'll have to do that eventually but I'm trying to get VCA functionality so I can use HP SIM to push out the PSP to all our servers. The servers that don't have the VCA configured will be upgraded (including the Sys Mgmt homepage and agents) so SIM can be used for the rest.
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

You should be able to upgrade SMH, VCA and Agents. I guess the timeout problem might be because of the VCA connection to the VCRM.
Steve Giordano
Frequent Advisor

I know it SHOULD work but I was trying to find out if there were any other dependencies to the service that might be causing the timeouts. This is the only error message I'm receiving as well. Notice in my original post I'm seeing the error message :

This is coming from the Sys Mgmt Homepage. I'm thinking this is all related. When upgrading from an older version of the agents how can you push out an "updated" certificate?
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

As far as I know there is no dependencies for the SMH service. The log says that it has created a new ceritificate as it was not able to load the old cert and that shouldn't cause any timeouts.
Try stopping VCA and (or) Agent service and check if it eliminates the timeout problem.
Steve Giordano
Frequent Advisor

I uninstalled the SMHomepage, VCA and SIM agents. Installed the SMHomepage - works great. Then installed the SIM agents - SMHomepage works great. Then installed the VCA and the timeouts started. I even tried doing a full uninstall of the PSP and full re-install and it still does it. Also downloaded newest version of SMHomepage than what comes with PSP 7.40A -- no luck.
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

Please make sure that VCA *can* connect to VCRM system with correct credentials (Look for firewall inbetween).
Try pinging VCRM system from a VCA system also try configuring VCA by providing the correct credentials i.e the account that you are providing should have Administrator or Operator level access defined in SMH on the VCRM system.

If it doesn't work, check out for the VCA log. What does it say?

I assume SNMP community strings are already defined as you are performing an upgrade.
Steve Giordano
Frequent Advisor

Yes I CAN ping the VCRM. No FW -- they're on the same subnet. The account I'm using has Admin rights on the server. It's the same account being used on all other servers that are working. The VCA a log information I put in my original post:

INFORMATION LOG (severity=0) Fri Dec 23 10:16:01 2005

A new self signed certificate was generated.

Certificate was successfully secured via the file system protection.

A new private key was generated.

Private key was successfully secured via the file system protection.

Yes -- SNMP community string is correct -- all other HP SIM functionality is working off of the same string name.
Steve Giordano
Frequent Advisor

Is there a support number I can call? I need to get a resolution to this problem and I'm running out of ideas why it's working on some servers but not others.