Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752720 Members
5698 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCRM 2.1.5.760: What does this actually do ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

VCRM 2.1.5.760: What does this actually do ?

From the revision history:

HP Version Control Repository Manager
┬╗ version 2.1.5.760 (1 Nov 06)
Update: Auto download does not download the ProLiant Support Packs which are already available in the repository.

Now, can anyone tell me exactly what this does, means and fixes ? Since I already have the PSPs in the respository I do not see why I would want to download them all over again ?
I assume this is not what the fix will do (since that would also overwrite customization of the PSP from what I understand), so what does it actually mean ?
8 REPLIES 8
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Answer 1/2
File cp006440.exe
Name HP Version Control Repository Manager Version 2.1.5.760
Version 2.1.5.760
Languages English (US), Japanese
Release Date 2006-06-01
Description The HP Version Control Repository Manager (VCRM) enables management of HP ProLiant and HP Integrity Support Packs and components in a repository.
Installation Notes Download the Smart Component to a directory on your hard drive and change to that directory. The downloaded file is a self-extracting executable with a filename based on the Smart Component Number. From that drive and directory, execute the downloaded file. Click the "Install" button to proceed with the installation.

Revision History Version 2.1.5.760 (Contains Bug Fixes)
Enhancements
Integrated new cpqstub file.
Fixes
Update: Auto download does not download the ProLiant Support Packs which are already available in the repository.
Version 2.1.4.750 (Contains Bug Fixes)
Enhancements
Updated the following:
Autodownload feature to support both active and passive FTP connections.
Log aging set to default value of 90 days.
Fixes
Updated the validation of the VCA credentials when VCRM has anonymous access enabled.
Version 2.1.3.740 (Contains Bug Fixes)
Enhancements
Updated to support new compresses PSP and LSP bundle formats.
Fixes
Resolved a VCRM process exception seen in large deployments
Addressed an issue with Linux Support Pack showing as an Invalid Support Pack.

Version 2.1.1.730 (Contains Bug Fixes)
Enhancements
Added support for the following:
Cataloging Linux software packages that are distributed in compressed archive (tar.gz) format.
Automatic downloading HP Integrity Support Packs and components.
Fixes
Resolved the following:
Issue with searching in the Japanese online help.
Several issues with creating custom support packs.
Issue where incompatible OpenSSL libraries in the system32 directory would cause the Version Control Repository Manager service to fail on startup.
Updated to allow the password for proxy-server settings to contain the '@' character.
Version 2.1.0.720 (Enhancements)
Enhancements
Added support for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 64-Bit Edition. Updated to use the newly released System Management Homepage.
Version 2.0.7.10 (Contains Bug Fixes)
Enhancements
Updated the following:
The proxy server settings for the automatic download feature can now be specified during the install.
The connection with the HP download site is tested when the auto-download feature is configured.
Version 5.94 of the System Management Homepage HTTP Server is included in this release.
Fixes
Resolved a potential issue when the Anonymous Access option is enabled.
Version 2.0.1.30 (Contains Bug Fixes)
Enhancements
Added support for the following:
ProLiant Support Packs for Linux operating systems.
Silent installation, allowing the Version Control Repository Manager to be remotely installed using the Version Control Agent or Remote Deployment Utility.
Fixes
Updated System Management HTTP Server, version 5.91.0. This includes the OpenSSL 0.9.6k release which fixes some security vulnerabilities.
Version 2.0.0.50 (Contains Bug Fixes)
Enhancements
This is a major upgrade of the Promotional Version (1.0) of the Version Control Repository Manager. New features include configurable, automatic download of HP ProLiant server support software and firmware; manual upload of ProLiant Support Pack software to the repository from any client using the browser interface; plus many ease-of-use enhancements to simplify repository maintenance.
Fixes
Resolved the following:
Security vulnerability which had the potential to allow Denial of Service (DoS) attacks through maliciously malformed HTTP requests. These maliciously malformed HTTP requests will stop the management products, and for NetWare, abend the OS. A fix to prevent cross-site scripting was checked in to remedy this. Please note that for other Operating Systems (Windows, Linux, etc.) the Operating System will not be affected, and the main functionality of the targeted servers cannot be affected; only the HP Management Products can be halted.
Security vulnerability which had the potential to allow Denial of Service (DoS) attacks through maliciously formatted HTTP Header information. These maliciously malformed HTTP requests will stop the management products, and for NetWare, abend the OS. Please note that for other Operating Systems (Windows, Linux, etc.) the Operating System will not be affected, and the main functionality of the targeted servers cannot be affected; only the HP Management Products can be halted.
Security vulnerability that had the potential to allow timing attacks to be performed on RSA keys, a vulnerability to which OpenSSL is generally vulnerable. The correction involves turning RSA blinding on. OpenSSL version 0.9.6j addresses this vulnerability and was incorporated to remedy this.
Security vulnerability to which OpenSSL is generally vulnerable. This vulnerability has the potential to allow a timing attack on OpenSSL that in effect allows an attacker, through creating millions of invalid SSL/TSL connections, to perform a single RSA private key operation on a ciphertext of its choice using the server's RSA key, without actually compromising the server's RSA key. OpenSSL version 0.9.6j addresses this vulnerability and was incorporated to remedy this.
Version 1.0.3086.0 (Contains Bug Fixes)
Fixes
Corrected an issue where the latest version of available software displayed at the Version Control Agent did not always show the newest version stored in the repository.
Version 1.0.3085.0 (Contains Bug Fixes)
Enhancements
Updated to include Management HTTP Server version 5.5.
Fixes
Updated to resolve issue with certain files not being accepted by the version of Internet Explorer shipped with Windows Server 2003 RC2.
Version 1.0.2345.0 (Enhancements)
Enhancements
Upgraded the Management HTTP Server to version 5.3.0.
Version 1.0.2289.0 (Enhancements)
Enhancements
Updated to:
Include version 5.2 of the HP HTTP server.
Remove the "Promotional Version" link on the Version Control Repository Manager web-page.
Version 1.0.2241.0 (Contains Major Bug Fixes)
Fixes
Fixed the following:
Browsing to the Version Control Repository Manager from a Windows Server 2003 Server, or when connecting a Version Control Agent to a Version Control Repository Manager running on a Windows Server 2003 Server.
A potential security vulnerability in the HTTP server used by this web application.
Version 1.0.1288.1 (Enhancements)
Enhancements
Initial release.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Rancher
Honored Contributor

This is just the latest PSP version of the Version Control Repository Manager. Once installed, it will NOT download what you already have in the repository. I have installed it and the only thing I had to do was import the CIMS certificate.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Yes, I read the revision history too, no need to post all of it... :D
And yes I figured out this is the latest version as well, I just wanted to check whether anyone knew if it actually was worth having for any reason, since I can't see it doing any good, and after upgrading I've gotten several disconnects where SIM looses connection to the SQL server, so I'm thinking downgrading, but wanted to check whether there was anything useful in it.
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Probably a coincidence with your SQL disconnects. VCRM integrates with HPSIM but it doesn't do anything with the SQL database. In fact VCRM and VCA will work standalone without HPSIM and the SQL database. So, it is doubtful that upgrading to latest VCRM has anything to do with your SQL problem.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Thanks, although to be on the safe side I did a rollback to the previous version, and the SQL disconnects have now stopped from what it looks like.
TechGuru
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi mikael,
IN VCRM Version 2.1.3.740
[Enhancements - Updated to support new compressed PSP and LSP bundle formats]
If auto download feature enabled, VCRM will download the compressed PSP (~100MB/PSP) to repository, Even when non-compressed PSP exists in repository (but doesn├в t overwrite existing files).

IN VCRM Version 2.1.5.760
[Update: Auto download does not download the ProLiant Support Packs that are already available in the repository]
If auto download feature enabled, VCRM will download the compressed PSP/LSP, only when PSP/LSP is not in repository.

Hope this helps.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Much thanks for a clear and straightforward answer.