108763 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCRM and RDP on a virtual server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Doug Dellinger
Occasional Advisor

VCRM and RDP on a virtual server?

I have a physical server that is running RDP and is my VCRM server. The VM team is looking for a "quick win" on virtualizing a server. It there a best practice or an reason that it can or can run in a VM?
Doesn't the VCRM need the System management homepage loaded, and that relies on physical hardware, correct?
3 REPLIES 3
Gladiator
Valued Contributor

Smh does not reley on physical hardware...

SMH can be installed on a VM guest..
But agents are not suported on VM.

Regards
Sins
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

A quick win for the VM team will be your loss. One of the characteristics that exclude workloads from being virtualized is heavy I/O, and deployments are by definition heavy in I/O. While it will work, physically, you will go crazy over time when the I/O demands of a deployment mean that you have a failed deployment because at the same time someone is doing some I/O on another app that shares the virtual NIC, etc. Doing this will introduce problems that won't be definitive and will have you chase ghosts often.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I/O loads can be mitigated by the fact a virtual server environment can have multiple NICs.
There are no reasons why this can't be virtualised other than the usual constraints of capacity.
Also if RDP was deploying a large number of virtual servers you may see improvements as the guest and RDP could be on the same virtual switch.
The only constraint in the HPSIM / VCRM environment is that if you deploy HPSIM to a virtual server you lose the Contract / RSP functionality.