New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCRM - no updates since 7/30/2006?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rick Stark
Occasional Advisor

VCRM - no updates since 7/30/2006?

Is this true? I had the following events in my VCRM log:

7/30/2006 11:59:27 PM The Version Control Repository Manager POSTed a Version Control Repository Manager/Automatic Update category event with severity code 1 to URL http://kil-itadmin.higoodwill.org:280/cpqevent.
7/30/2006 11:59:23 PM The automatic repository update process completed successfully. [ details ]
7/30/2006 11:59:23 PM A component has been added to the repository. [cp006415.exe]
7/30/2006 11:59:16 PM A component has been added to the repository. [cp006414.exe]
7/30/2006 11:58:50 PM A component has been added to the repository. [cp006413.exe]
7/30/2006 11:58:29 PM A component has been added to the repository. [cp005855.exe]
7/30/2006 11:57:34 PM Automatic update started successfully

Then I just get the following:
9/11/2006 11:22:53 AM The automatic repository update process completed successfully. No new, applicable files were found for download.
9/11/2006 11:22:48 AM The automatic repository update process completed successfully. No new, applicable files were found for download.
9/11/2006 11:21:43 AM Automatic update started successfully

When I look at the repository folder, the newest file is dated 7/30/2006. Is there something wrong with my VCRM? I'm running version 2.1.4.750
6 REPLIES 6
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

What OS are you deploying to? It depends on what the OS is and in some cases what the component is if it shows up in the download catalog. If you are concerned that you are missing something you can go to the hp website and check the component list and see if you are missing something you need.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Rick Stark
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rich,
I'm deploying mostly to Windows 2003 Server and Windows 2000 Server. I was alterted to the updates not downloading since I had to upgrade the firmware of a DL360 Windows 2003 server with a SmartArray 6i controller that I had to manually download the June update.

My concern is this server has downloaded updates pretty much on a weekly basis (that's the schedule it's set for, but I've since changed it to daily) but since 7/30, no more updates were downloaded. I've contacted tech support and the technician said his supervisor told him no updates were created since 7/30 which I find hard to believe since I had to download the SmartArray 6i update manually. I did have a new firewall installed around this time, but from my VCRM server, I can ftp into the two ftp sites it uses (based on this forum search results).

This is for Insight Manager 4.2. I've tried upgrading to 5.0 sp5 today (was it out that long for five service packs???). That's a whole different problem that I will post soon if I cannot find answers by searching this forum.

-Rick
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Ok, hmmm, I am wondering if it has to do with the fact that you were looking for a firmware update. Actually, as long as the firmware update is packaged as a Cpxxxxxx.exe component package then it should have probably worked. The way the VCRM works with autodownload is that it looks to see what OS the VCA's that are using the repository are running. The VCRM will then only download components that match that OS list of systems using the VCRM. That is why it requires for at least on VCA to be pointing to the VCRM before it will successfully download something.

There may still be some "offline" only FW/ROM flashes in which case those packages would not be associated with one of the supported OS's. I believe that most FW and ROM flashes are now packaged for "online" flashing and as such they should be associated with an OS. Which should allow it to be auto-downloaded.

Ok, well maybe it is your firewall or maybe there is just an issue - my current VC setup is in transition or I would just check it. I will try and find another VC setup I can check and see what the component/update list looks like.

-Rich
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Alright, I found another VC setup that supports mostly Windows systems and I can see no new downloads from approximately 7/27. However, this particular setup had some errors in the log so I am not sure if that would have an effect. As far as the Array Controller package that you did not get automatically downloaded, I am assumming it was CP006627? This package was not in the repository I checked, however previous versions were there.

I saw some odd data in the download catalog for component CP006627 which may have attributed to why it was not downloaded automatically. It may have been a publishing error. I will try and follow up on that to see if that was the case and see if we can prevent it in the future. If I get an update on more information about the catalog/repository updating in general I will try and update this thread when I find something.

-Rich
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor
Solution

Just as an update, there has been an issue with the publishing of the download catalog recently. It is being actively worked and will hopefully be resolved soon. There are processes being put in place to try and keep us apprised of the condition of the catalog in the future, thanks for bringing this up. If there are any other updates I will try and post to this thread again.

-Rich
Rick Stark
Occasional Advisor

Rich, thank you very much for looking into this. I had a feeling something was wrong, but thought it was our new firewall.