1752567 Members
5313 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VCRM reindex

Typhoon87
Frequent Advisor

VCRM reindex

Is there a way to have VCRM avoid a reindex every time the host OS needs to be reabooted? Its annoying because a reboot of the OS suddenly means 3 hours of reindexing and the inabilty to use the VCRM on client machines.

I am running the latest 7.2.2 version.

12 REPLIES 12
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Are you sure it's the VCR reindexing? I had issues similar and it wound up being a load of unprocessed traps in the "c:\Program files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\traps directory". 1.3 million to be specific

Typhoon87
Frequent Advisor

I am not running SIM and I also see the reindex notes in the log file for VCRM.

I see in the log file

Initializing Version Control Repository Manager service start.

Catalog validation started

Catalog validation completed.

and the time stamps between the start and stop are about 4 -5 hours. Why does it need to reindex every time the host OS is restarted?
shocko
Honored Contributor

I have the same problem. In my case though, it appears to be that although I have the repository manger set to only download software for Windows 2008/2008 r2/2003 it's also downloading all available software for *nix/windows 7 etc. which is leading to a huge amount of repository bloat and causes the catalogue validation to take hours. I'm investigating this now. I may open a support case and I'll post back if I get anything useful.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Typhoon87
Frequent Advisor

I also see the same issue that you are seeing the repository has quite a few scexe linux updates even though I do not have linux chosen as an OS.

I will say in 7.2 they did improve the speed of initizlaion by a bit but it still needs alot of work

Are you also using VCRM 7.2.2?.

Im a bit weary of openeing suppor cases with HP for this type of thing. I once opened a case about the VCRA and it took weeks to hear back try reinstalling the software but in a specific order. which did not fix my issue.

shocko
Honored Contributor

I've logged a call in relation to this with support and I'm going to insist on some type of resolution or at least help me to understand the product better. I'll post back ASAP.

Typhoon87
Frequent Advisor

Any chance of an update on this?

Typhoon87
Frequent Advisor

Just asking again if there is any update on your case.

They have relaeased V 7.3.0 has been released. I have upgraded and there was an imediate reindex after the installation finshed. That took aboiut 26 hours to complete.

I have just rebooted the server and they chagned the text used on the items after a reboot to say A catalog item has been modified XXXXXXXX   where the X's are the softpaq id.

its been running since about 11 this morning and is still going right now.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Hi guys, meant ot post back. Here's what HP said:

"Because the VCRM downloads and extracts the SPP for Proliant, this will mean you will always have components for windows/Linux operating systems in the repository. There is no way around this. So, even if you have only selected some windows systems to dowload items for, once the SPP is extracted it will bring in the Linux components therein. Also, the re-index will always take a long time due to the size of the repository once SPP etc are extracted"

Great design eh?! :(

masirider
Occasional Advisor

Yep... that was the same responce that I received from HP.

I hope the design improves in the future.