7454 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VM Host systems skipped or partially complete with minor errors

Robie-Wan
Occasional Advisor

VM Host systems skipped or partially complete with minor errors

Hello,

I have 12 ESXi hosts running 5.0.0 in a cluster. When I go to discover these systems, 1 through 6 discover with no problem. 7 skips. 8-12 either complete with minor errors or complete with critical errors. I've tried to go through the hosts and verify settings, however I personally can't see anythign that is not allowing them to work.

1-4 are running build 821926

5-8 are running build 623860

9 is running build 768111

10-12 are running build 623860

I've attached some results from various success levels, hopefully they shed SOME light into what is going on.

I have verified the units entries in DNS, can nslookup to them with no problem...

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated..

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Buggsy
Advisor

I wish I could be more specific, but our Unix guy isn't here. Off the top of my head, this is what I remember.

I setup a seperate discovery listing each ESX server by the FQDN. I also entered the root credentials in this discovery. There was some change from version 4 with SNMP. This doesn't sound exactly right, but I think he said "ESX doesn't support SNMP traps anymore".

I believe that what you need to do is in the command line of ESX. This is some info I gleemed from my notes.

You'll need to install some HP addon. hp-nmi-bundle-1.1.02.zip and hp-esxi4.1uX-bundle-1.0a.zip is what I show. I don't knwo where to get them off hand. Using Putty, copy these files to the ESX server and run them like so.

esxupdate --bundle=hp-nmi-bundle-1.1.02.zip update

esxupdate --bundle=hp-esxi4.1uX-bundle-1.0a.zip update

Make sure the CIM services are set to run at startup:

chkconfig sfcbd on
chkconfig sfcbd-watchdog on

Now reboot the ESX server.

Thsi is where I created my seperate discovery for the ESX servers:

· Login to HP SIM
· Go to Options -> Discovery.
· On the discovery screen, create a new discovery task. Add your ESXi hosts to the "Ping inclusion ranges/host names" text box.
· Click the blue Credentials button on the bottom (this is important).
· Click Show advanced protocol credentials.
· Click the WBEM/WMI tab.
· Enter in a valid username and password for your ESXi Host (I use root and the root password).
· Click OK.
· Now save the task by clicking Save.
· Run the task by selecting its radio button and clicking Run Now.

Robie-Wan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Buggsy,

I do believe there was a problem with SNMP and ESX that I have heard about, but ESXi did not have the same issue.

When these servers had 5.0 installed, they were installed using the HP-specific images which include the necessary plugins for SIM to recognize them. In fact, 7 of these servers have the exact same install, exact same configuration, yet don't all communicate properly with SIM. Even two with identical hardware do not both get recognized the same. One shows fully, the other does not.

I will try seperate entries for each, see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply!

-Chris
Buggsy
Advisor

There isn't really an ESX or ESXi, it all vSphere now. I wish I could help more, but this is currently what our guys do with the latest version to get it to work.

At the very least, run Putty and double check that these services are running.

Make sure the CIM services are set to run at startup:

chkconfig sfcbd on
chkconfig sfcbd-watchdog on

I've actually had some servers for a seperate farm shipped configured from HP. I wiped them and reisntalled vSphere because it was useless. I had to set those services to start, but didn't need to copy any componenets over.