1753797 Members
7338 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMM 2.1 (Trial) license problems

Pejo
Occasional Contributor

VMM 2.1 (Trial) license problems

We're trying to use a trial of the VMM 2.1 on our HP SIM5 SP5. The VMM agent is installed on our VMWare ESX 3.0, and a license key is deployed to the server (I can confirm that by looking in License Manager - Manage Keys).

When I look at a virtual machine under the VMWare Host in SIM I get the following message:
"VMM agent has been installed on the VM Host, but the host does not have a VMM license"
I see this message when I look at for example "VM Control" or "Virtual Machine Disk Partitions".

What more do I need to do? It could be a newbie-mistake cause I'm new to VMM, but I really dont know where to start.
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: VMM 2.1 (Trial) license problems

The other task is to register it. See under Configure->Virtual Machine Host Registration->Register VM Host.
I found it seemed to take a while before this showed up correctly under HPSIM, it may have needed the Hardware Polling task to have run before the details got populated.
There should also be some VMM Logs which may give you an idea of what's going on.
Pejo
Occasional Contributor

Rob, thank you for your help.
When I try to register the host it says "The agent is already registered" so I probably managed to register it yesterday. That is, the hardware polling should have run by now.

I tried to restart the VMM agent now, but SIM gave me this error at "Tool launch ok?":
"No, Host null is not licensed because its serial number is not availableor invalid. Verify the hosts serial number gets discovered correctly and then re-license the serial number"
To me it looks like everything is alright. If I try to deploy a key to the server it says "Key already present at this system". I can confirm that the serial number is correct in Manage keys.
Pejo
Occasional Contributor

When I look at the properties for the SIM Server it says that HP Virtual Machine Management Pack is version 2.1. But in the license manager it says Virtual Machine Management version 1. Is this the correct behaviour?
Navigator_1
Occasional Advisor

Have you installed the SIM management agents on the ESX host? if not you can download and install the same from the following location

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/25469.html
Pejo
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the SIM agents are installed on our hosts.
Jonas Lindgren

Hi!

I had the same problem as you did and solved it. Try to manually set a serial number on the Virtual machine host in HPSIM and restart the VMM Service. Then make sure a license have been assign to the host in license Manager - Manage Key. Seats Used should differ from 0.