108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMM Guest status unknown

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ken Horn
Advisor

VMM Guest status unknown

Trying to find out if I'm missing something. I've installed VMM on a couple of host servers running Virtual Server 2005. The hosts and guest machines are discovered, but I can not get a status, network or operating system information on the guest VMs. Running an identify on the guest VM fails (assuming due to the lack of network address). WBEM is configured globally on the CMS, and the guest VMs all have SNMP configured and enabled. Did I miss the install of an agent or something to make this work?
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not sure what you mean by a lack of a Network Address. VM Guests should have an IP Address.

Can your VM Guests see the outside world or are they on an internal private virtual network?

If the VM Guests can see the outside world then HPSIM using WBEM should be able to get the detail about them. But if they cannot, then HPSIM will not be able to get to them either.
Ken Horn
Advisor

The VM guests do have IP addresses. Just the CMS wasn't finding them. I did find at least part of the problem. The guest servers have to be registered on Virtual Server with the same name as the actual server in order for the CMS to find the IP addresses, so at least now I get an HS and the IP listed.

I'm still not getting the OS information. Not sure if this is just a misconfiguration of WBEM, not waiting long enough for a data collection or just the way this works. If nothing else I guess I can always manually fill the product name and OS information.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

That's pretty much what I have, you could try using server specific WBEM credentials to test.

In an AD domain the wbem credentials are of the form domain\username. It certainly works here, but as I say these are VMWare based, no idea if that makes a difference.
Ken Horn
Advisor

Thanks for the help...turned out to be the WBEM settings on the specific servers. Resetting the WBEM protocol at the server level and doing an identify got the information I needed.
Ken Horn
Advisor

Case closed
Dave Behler
Frequent Advisor

Are your VM's staying in SIM with a type of Virtual Machine or are they changing into an Unknown status daily? I can't keep my VM's from changing into an Unknown type after a daily discovery runs.

Anyone have any ideas?