1752815 Members
5971 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMM Management and Migrations

Gerald LaVallee
Frequent Advisor

VMM Management and Migrations

So what do I need to buy to manage my VMs and to migrate using V2V, V2P, etc. within HP SIM?
What ever it takes!
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You get the VMM License from HP and that also comes with 5 SMP Licenses. (Server Migration Pack)
It's the SMP license that is used for the P2V, V2V and V2P migrations a license is used per migration.
Additional SMP licenses can be purchased to cater for additional migrations as required, but you only need a single VMM license per VM Host Server.
See;
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12328_div/12328_div.html

Gerald LaVallee
Frequent Advisor

Question...if I buy 10 VMM Agent Licenses for my 10 Virtual Host, can I then use 50 SMP migrations from any of the 10 hosts or are the 5 SMP demo licenses limited to each Host?
What ever it takes!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The SMP license doesn't care what host the migration is to.

If you're licensed for VMotion and VirtualCentre then it matters even less as once the SMP migration is complete you can mve it wherever you want.
Gerald LaVallee
Frequent Advisor

Last question...promise. So no matter which flavor of VMM I order (e.g. 435661-B21, 372214-B21, 435662-B21, etc.) my SMP license count is "bumped" up by 5?

Thanks for your help!
What ever it takes!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I couldn't guarantee that without looking at the license details.
You should check with HP or the reseller for that.
But I've got 5 x SMP with each of the VMM licenses I've purchased, but I've purchased the most recent ones as part of my VMWare licenses. There's a packaged bundle that includes the VMWare as well as VMM licenses. From memory it's a PEVMS package or similar.