1754020 Members
7811 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMM NIghtmare

stefano colombo_1
Super Advisor

VMM NIghtmare

The VMs keep on changing to unknown even after updating to VMM 2.1 .
It seems that no one have been able to get VMM running correctly .

I thought the problems were gone after some days that our VM were correctly displayed .
All of a sudden today they reversed to "unknown" .

I tried all the things I could find in this forum but still got the problem .

I wonder if someone from HP can spell some knowledge on this ...

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Ranganath
Occasional Advisor

The possible problem could be, the communication between the SIM and the VM Host is not getting completed. But we have not seen this issue very often. SIM5.1 has a better way of handling this situation. I dont know what version of SIM you are running. If SIM upgrade is not an option for you, please log a support call with HP, we will engage the engineering team after having collected the details of the problem.

Thanks
stefano colombo_1
Super Advisor

I'm running SIM5.0 SP5 build C.05.00.02.00
VMM 2.1 .

The CMS have no problem communicating with WM hosts .

If I open the System Page of one of them and expand the "virtual machines "node I can see all the VM guests .

Another issue is that VM guest's OS , displayed in the VM Host's system page , is sometimes discovered as WIndows Server 2003 and sometimes as Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition

Thanks
Stefano

Ranganath
Occasional Advisor

SMH displaying the right information would mean that there is no problem with VMM. If you have an option to upgrade SIM to 5.1, I would definitely recommend you to upgrade. We definitely know that we are handling the WEBEM communication from VM host to SIM in a better way in 5.1. Otherwise please log a call with support with screen dumps and all the log files.

Thanks
stefano colombo_1
Super Advisor

You're talking about SIM 5.1 but the last released verion is 5.0 Sp5 which is the one I'm running .
I checked the HP SIM web site but couldn't find any 5.1

At the time I couldn't open an incident because we have no support and the 90-day support has expired before we had the chance to test the product in production

Thanks
Stefano
Ranganath
Occasional Advisor

5.1 is in beta..not sure if you have access to the beta channel. Please try the following:

1) Re identify the the VM hosta for which the corresponding VMs are showing unknown.
2) If you get an error during identification, restart the WMI and WMI MAPPER service on CMS(SIM server)

Thanks
stefano colombo_1
Super Advisor

Hi ,
we have no access to beta programs , in any case I wouldn't try a beta version in a customer's production environment .

I tried several time re-identifying the vm guests which appears as unknown .
I got no errors but the guest still appears as unknown

Thanks
Stefano
Ranganath
Occasional Advisor

You will have to check the following verifications.
1. The VM guest IP addresses are pingable from CMS.

2. Make sure Under Options/Protocol Settings/WMI Mapper Proxy, the IP or name of the CMS is listed.

3. Please check system page of CMS and make sure WEB is listed under ├в Management Protocols├в in the Product Description Table in the same.

4. WMI/WMI service must be running on the VM Guest.

If all the above verifications are positive and you still see the problem, try the following:
1) Restart the WMI services on the CMS.
2) If the above does not work, uninstall the WMI wrapper and install again.

Thanks
stefano colombo_1
Super Advisor

Hi ,
I tried all of these , including reinstallation of wmi-proxy but still the VM are shown as unknown

thanks
Stefano
pal_pal
Occasional Advisor

From what I observe, the problem seems to be with the WBEM proxy or the WMI provider.

So as an alternative, I would suggest that you install SNMP service on the VM guest and provide the proper community read string.

Think this should help.