3080 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMM and Host Registration

Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

VMM and Host Registration

Hi there,

I have recently installed a HP SIM 5.2 server including the latest VMM. All the HP services are running under the local administrator account. When I go to register a VM Host, I get multiple errors saying the user does not have the necessary permission needed. I'm assuming this is because it needs to manipulate files on a remote VM Host, but because the services runs as a local admin it does not have permission.

Is there anyway around this? If I change SIM to run as a domain account, I get a whole raft of other errors.

Thanks.....
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

VMM Registration etc. can be done manually.
If you look in the HP VMM Install directory you'll find the batch files that do the registration.
You also need to install the VMM Agents and their certs on the ESX Hosts.

Not at work now, but if you search this forum you should come across similar queries along with some references to the files used.

Typically HPSIM uses SSH to manage VMM Installs etc. on the host but I've had more success by manually copying the files and doing the installs manually.
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

OK, I've got the agents installed on the VM Hosts, but looking at the CMD files that are run by SIM for registration, they accept variables from SIM itself. Is it a case of running these CMD files manually and editing the variables in the script each time?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

There's two parts on the ESX side.
Install the agents which you've done.

You'll then find another script that copies three files to the /root directory (importcert.sh, vmmagent.ks & vmtoolstrust.ks) and then you run the shell script.

On the HPSIM Server in the install bin directory look at the vmm_registerlin.bat file.
The last line is an mxexec command, do that replacing the last part with the name of the ESX Host.
You may need to rerun an Identification task.
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Hi again!

Ok, I've copied the relevant files to the VmWare Server (it's not ESX), and run the importcert.bat so that the key files are copied to the VM Agent directory. I've then run the mx command to register the server in SIM (which reports as a success).

if I then run an "indentify system" I get the following error:
VMM is installed, but the system is not a VM Host or may not be configured in VMM"

Any ideas?

Thanks again
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Is this VMware Server? Apologies most of that is for ESX.
You'll need the agents for whatever the base OS is.
Haven't checked but also check that VMM is supported for VMware Server - I'm not sure about that without digging through the docs.
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Hi there,

Yes, all our servers are VmWare Server or GSX. I've used the correct agents, and previously they communicated with a SIM server. The difference is that I'm now using SIM 5.2 and the latest VMM, perhaps they have removed support for non-ESX hosts?