1753302 Members
6329 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMM on ESX

Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

I do have other licenses available and while trying to get this to work, I have deployed multiple licenses to the same machine.
Scott_278
Valued Contributor

Aha...you are not going to be pleased.

I have had an open case on this for over four months now. When I first attempted to manage an ESX server, I did the steps in the wrong order and wound up in the exact same situation as you are now.

What they keep telling me is that there is no way to "retract" a license once it is deployed. I kept asking if there was some license file sitting on the ESX server that I could simply delete, or some registry key or something on the CMS to get rid of so I could deploy the same license. They kept saying "No".

The only way I could get around it was to get another license key from HP. Just last week they sent me a brand new 11-pack license so I could get it working again.

Then just the other day I was informed that the issue was finally identified, and that they are looking to fix it in the next release of VMM.

What I was told is that you can apply multiple licenses to a single machine if they are from different license packs. In my case, each license pack consisted of a single license, and I had deployed multiple licenses to the same ESX server just like you have. As I said before, my only workaroud at this point has been to get new license keys from HP. They have not indicated whether the "fix" in the new VMM will resolve my existing license issue, or if I simply need to move on with the new licenses.

I forgot my case number, but I am attempting to retrieve it and will post it so you can reference it if you want to call in for new license packs.
Scott_278
Valued Contributor

My case number is 3212392802.
NEETI TOLIA
Frequent Advisor

Hi Scott and Kevin,

I dont understand what do you mean when you said wrong order of steps?

You can deploy license or deploy agent in order you want. Only thing required is that you need to identify the ESX box correctly in SIM.

Can you please confirm
1. What version of Insight managment agent for ESX are you using?

2. What version of VMM AND SIM are you using?
NEETI TOLIA
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

As I understand the following steps are already followed on this particular case

1. Mxagentconfig is run (dont have to install open ssh on ESX box)
2. ESX management agents are installed and SNMP setup is done. SIM is not identifying the ESX box correctly with all required information in all systems page.
3. VMM agent deployed on the VM host (this would also register the host as part of deployment process)
4. License key deployed.

This is the right sequence of licensing the VMM host but in this case maybe 1 and 2 were done after 3 and 4 (order of 3 and 4 does not matter), is this true? What is the version of VMM ? Is it VMM 2.0.2? You can find info from HPSIM -> Help -> about HPSIM

Also this case is different from the one that Scott is referring to where the problem was that the Host which was once licensed showed as unlicensed after the SNMP settings were modified. This issue would be taken care if you install VMM 2.0.2 , you dont need to deploy new keys.
Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

I fixed my issue by removing and reinstalling SIM. The previous install of SIM was updated/upgraded many times so I think something just got confused.