1752731 Members
6312 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMM on ESX

Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

VMM on ESX

I installed VMM on my ESX server and deployed a license to it. SIM said it deployed the license correctly but when I try to view the VMM info, it says it isn't licensed. If I manage my licenses, it doesn't show it was deployed either. But if I redeploy it, it says a key is already present on the system. How do I get this working?

Also, should SIM show my server as a DL585 or a LINUX?
15 REPLIES 15
Derek_56
Valued Contributor

Re: VMM on ESX

Kevin,

SIM should show your server as ProLiant DL585, not simply LINUX. Although I have not used the VMM yet, I've had the same issue discovering our hosts in SIM. Make sure that your SNMP strings in the snmpd.conf file on the hosts are using the fully qualified domain name for your SIM server (or it's FQDN DNS alias.) I would fix your discovery issue on the hosts before proceding with troubleshooting the VMM issue.

Hope this helps,

-Derek
MsCindy
Advisor

Kevin,

There are four steps that must be performed in order to use the VMM.
1. Discover Virtual Machine Hosts
2. Install OpenSSH
3. Deploy the VMM Agent to the Host
4. Apply VMM License

You didn't mention that you installed the OpenSSH so that may be the problem.
The link below may be of assistance.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00498345/c00498345.pdf
Good luck!
Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

Ok, I got snmp working correctly. I'm still having problems with VMM.

Do I need to install openssh on ESX server? It already has an SSH server on it and it is installed.

I also noticed that if I look at the "Manage Keys", while it says there are 0 seats used, if I select the key, it shows my VMM server as having the key.

Any idea's? Should I call HP?
Derek_56
Valued Contributor

Kevin,

You can use ESX's OpenSSH client, you just need to import the key on the CMS (SIM server.) Use the command line utility, mxagentconfig command to do this. The syntax will differ if you are on SIM 5.x vs. SIM 4.x.

-Derek
Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

I imported the keys using "mxagentconfig -a -n esxserver -u hpsim -p hpsimpassword". I have SIM 5.0 and it said the registration was successfull. I also used the FQDN.
Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

I just called HP and they were absolutely no help. They just told me to call VMWare. I know it isn't a VMWare problem though.The software is installed it the stupid licensing that isn't working. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a better number at HP to call for support? I tried the 1-800-HP-INVENT but it didn't have an option for VMM and when I finally got someone, they sent me to the Proliant server support.
Scott_278
Valued Contributor

Did you register the ESX server? Configure - Virtual Machine Host Registration - Register VM Host?
Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

Yes, I registered it.
Scott_278
Valued Contributor

Do you have other VMM licenses available for deployment? Is it possible you deployed another license to this same server at a different time?