Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752794 Members
5838 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMM with ESX 3

HP has released the ProLiant Essentials Management Software CD ver.7.60 but to my surprise the SIM version of it is still 5.0 with SP5, and the VMM and SMP are ver.2.0.2, so no sign of 2.1 yet. The 90 day as I see it it's a broken promise...
Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

At this point, I'm considering not using VMM anymore. If HP can't update thier software in a timely manner, why support them? I'm looking at installing 4 more ESX servers in the next 12 months and I don't know if I can justify spending the money to buy copies of VMM for it. I'll probably use Virtual Center instead.
Paul M. Ford
Occasional Advisor

I agree. We have ordered and installed additional BL25p servers and at the moment they are sitting idle with no O/S. I REALLY do not want to install ESX 2.5.3 and turn around and upgrade production systems to ESX 3 within weeks. However, after checking the HP website every day and not seeing any good news, I am left without a choice.
MC1903
Regular Advisor

"90 day as I see it it's a broken promise". Indeed Cristian - as I see it, all HP can deliver ontime is broken promises...

This has dragged on for too long and is becoming a joke!!!

It would be good if David Claypool or someone from ProLiant Essentials Software Marketing could make comment...

Soon I will start recommending my customers purchase VI3 without PEVMS or go direct to VMware...

Martin
Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

You'd think they would at least change the web page so that it doesn't say it will be released within 90 days of ESX 3 release.
Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

Well, I found this on HP's VMware Q&A page.

Q2. What versions of VMware virtualization software are supported by PEVMS?
A2. ProLiant Essentials Virtualization Management Software (PEVMS) will not support VMware Infrastructure 3 products until the release of the ProLiant Essentials Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) version 2.1 in late November, 2006. The current VMM 2.0 product will continue to support VMware ESX 2 products.

Looks like we now have another 2 months to wait.
Paul M. Ford
Occasional Advisor

Kevin,

Thanks for the update! Its better that what I have been seeing on the SIM web page.

Now I have a bunch of ESX 2.5.3 servers to set up (and upgrade at a later time).
AndySmith2
Occasional Advisor

Well, let me open myself up for abuse by introducing myself as the new product manager for VMM :-) I apologize for not posting to this forum earlier, as well as for the job I have done communicating the delay of VMM 2.1. The changes in ESX 3 were more significant than anticipated, and in order to release a quality product, we made the decision to delay. In our defense, I don't know of many tools that supported ESX 3 on day one. IBM's VMM product still does not support ESX 3 as well. But I do understand your frustration that we set an initial date, and then did not meet that. VMM 2.1 will be available for download on November 22, and we feel confident in that date. This inludes support for ESX 3.0 and 3.0.1. If you are willing to wait, VMM 2.1 allows you to "move" VM's from ESX 2.5 to 3.0, where many other migration tools charge you for a migration. Thanks for your patience, and again, my apologies.
MC1903
Regular Advisor

Hi Andy...

You are a brave man for posting - you get kudos points for coming clean...

I hope that your development team doesnt let you down, now you have given us a date... If that happens you may well get abused..!

I wish you had posted this sooner... I just advised that a largish (50 x 2-CPU Enterprise licenses) VI3 order get switched from HP VI3 with PEVMS to VMware direct with their P2V...

I look forward to downloading VMM 2.1 on November 22nd - its in my diary to check..!

All the best and thanks for the info/update...

Martin
MC1903
Regular Advisor

Andy...

I also meant to add, that it is worth asking the forum mods to add the HP logo to your forum profile (like David Claypools)...

After all, any one can say that they are a HP employee...

Cheers

Martin