1753769 Members
5500 Online
54796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMM with ESX 3

Ed_178
Advisor

I just have a few questions about the up comming version of VMM.

1) Will it allow you to resize a drive during a P2V migration?

2) Will it allow "hot" migrations (without having to reboot the server) for P2V?

Both of these options are supported in a competitors product and we are highly interested in having those features applied to VMM (seeing that we already purchased several VMM license).

Thanks you.
pal_pal
Occasional Advisor

Yes we support resizing the drive during migrations. But resizing can be done only on NTFS partitions.

"Hot" backups during migrations is not supported in the 2.1 release of VMM. The SMP agent will automatically reboot the machine to perform the migration.

Ed_178
Advisor

Thanks for your response. Glad to hear your added support for partition resizing during migrations (that will be a HUGE help). Now I have a few more questions and hope someone at HP might have the answers too;

1) Currently when I migrate a machine using P2V , once the migration is complete I always have to go into the VM setting and select vmxnet and the proper vlan. I also have to redo the TCP/IP settings under windows. Will this be fixed in the new release?

2) Another annoyance is the fact that i have to manually uninstall all the HP PSP tools that are no longer needed once the servers have been virtualized. Will there be a tool/script to do this once the P2V process is complete?

3) The wizard for the P2V process only has the option to reboot the original server once completed, will there be an option to shutdown the server when done?

4) Currently if a P2V migration fails the file created on the vmfs partition is not deleted (even though it is incomplete). Has this been resolved?

5) Can we can an option to automatically install VM tools on a windows box upon a completed migration?

Ok thats all my questions for now, thanks in advance for your answers.
pal_pal
Occasional Advisor

1) Currently when I migrate a machine using P2V , once the migration is complete I always have to go into the VM setting and select vmxnet and the proper vlan. I also have to redo the TCP/IP settings under windows. Will this be fixed in the new release?

-The network needs to be configured manually after the migration is completed.

2) Another annoyance is the fact that i have to manually uninstall all the HP PSP tools that are no longer needed once the servers have been virtualized. Will there be a tool/script to do this once the P2V process is complete?

-No. PSP does not get uninstalled. But this does not affect the normal functioning of the VM.

3) The wizard for the P2V process only has the option to reboot the original server once completed, will there be an option to shutdown the server when done?

4) Currently if a P2V migration fails the file created on the vmfs partition is not deleted (even though it is incomplete). Has this been resolved?

-These two questions, please let me check up and get back to you.

5) Can we can an option to automatically install VM tools on a windows box upon a completed migration?

No. VM Tools also need to be installed after the migration is complete.
Paul M. Ford
Occasional Advisor

Okay, do we really have to remind HP of what is suppose to happen today???

I was at the VMWORLD conference and did not get a warm fuzzy from the staff when I asked about VMM 2.1. Didn't get asked to leave or anything but they turned their attention to potential customers and ignored the already irritated one.

To quote from an earlier post:
Waiting
Waiting
Waiting
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Yep, the anticipation is keen down under as well....
dave rowland_2
Advisor

Well Nov 22nd has been and gone and no posting on here from the product manager. So we wait and wait and wait and wait. Meanwhile we have a business to run !!!!
Will sonn be 6 months are the release of ESX 3.0, dont think HP are serious about offering a service for vmware......
Kevin Everts_1
Regular Advisor

Ok, there are 3 days left in November. Does anyone want to wager on whether or not they release it before December 1? I'm going to have to say no since it doesn't look like anyone from HP actually cares about this product.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Do I get to place a bet? I'm hours ahead of the competition down here! It's already the 29th...
MC1903
Regular Advisor

Isn't it reassuring to see that AndySmith2, the self confessed VMM product manager, is keeping us informed and up to date on the pending release!

Why have HP got VI3 so wrong? Apart from this farce, the StorageWorks division has yet to certify ESX 3.0 / 3.0.1 on any of the EVA storage systems!

My vote for the release date is 25th December... I have more faith in Santa dropping a copy down my chimney, than I do with HP and their broken promises!

Martin