1753245 Members
3494 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMWare 3.5 host, SIM 5.1 Identify error

Lawrance Lee_1
HPE Pro

VMWare 3.5 host, SIM 5.1 Identify error

Does any one know why a SIM 5.1 server generates an error when trying to identify a ESX 3.5.0 host which has the HP ESX management agents version 7.9.1 correctly installed on it?

The script output from SIM is as follows:

Starting identification process...
Checking for known running web servers.
Checking for System Management Home Page and other HP web agents.
The System Management Homepage is not supported on this system.
etc
etc
etc

(I've truncated the rest of the output because it is not relevant)

Ports 2381 is open so if I were to try to access the System Management Home page on the server, (https://:2381) it works just fine.

Thanks

Lawrance
I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
4 REPLIES 4
Lawrance Lee_1
HPE Pro

Seems like I've worked out that there's a bug in the Identify feature of SIM. When it tries to look for a System Management Homepage (SMH) service on the ESX 3.5.0 server, it is listening on port 2301. This port is not enabled by default, so it doesn't pick up the SMH.

To get the identify to work properly, its necessary to open up the port 2301. I can do this at the ESX command prompt "esxcfg-firewall --openPort 2301,tcp,in,hpim"

But I shouldn't have to do that - the Identify function in SIM isn't working properly for an ESX host.

Just thought I post this in case someone else is also seeing this issue.

Lawrance
I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

SNMP is usually enough to identify ESX. On a 3.02 ESX Server I only have the 2381 and SNMP open. I've not needed to open up 2301 to get Identification to work.

I'm not sure why this would be different using ESX 3.5.
Lawrance Lee_1
HPE Pro

I agree that SNMP does find the server, and that is further down the sequence of tests that the Identify function uses.

I work for HPE.
Accept or Kudo
Jan Pielhau

We had the same issue here, with the following version:

Build version: C.05.02.02.00
Build date: 2008-07-04 10:23
Patches: HOTFIX52_002.jar Di, 15.07.2008, 17:07 CEST
HOTFIX52_003.jar Mi, 16.07.2008, 14:05 CEST

Although this hotfix with the comment "This hotfix fixes ESXi U2 support" is installed, identifying only works with opening the tcp-Port 2301. Otherwise the SMH won't get recognized by the process.

Anyone @ HP who can help? Of course we don't want to use the unencrypted way...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards, Jan