1753774 Members
6959 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMWare Guests are not recognized

Olaf Pelzer
Occasional Contributor

VMWare Guests are not recognized

I'm in the eval process of the sim, and wanted also the vm guests to be managed.
The vm agent is installed on the windows vmware server, and up and running - I can retrieve informations.
When I try to see anything on the running vm guests - "Host has no VMs registered".
I've un/reregistered the client several times, the vm host (and guest) was rebooted too.
I've also waited some time - no difference.

Any ideas? Some help would be great...

Thx

Olaf
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not too sure what you mean here.
There isn't a VMware Agent for the Guest VMs.

You can get additional management of the VMware infrastructure via HPSIM by using the VMM add-on. It costs though.
The VMM Agent sits on the VMware Host Server.

To get basic info about the VM Guests I just enable WBEM for the server under the server specific settings. This gets a reasonable amount of info.

It sounds a bit like you've installed the VM Agent for the host (typically used in a MS Virtual Server environment) onto one of the guests.
Olaf Pelzer
Occasional Contributor

Thx for your answer, but...
I've only installed the vmm on the host, not the guests.
I can see different vm specific things on the host (like performance etc).
I didn't installed any agent on the guests, but snmp and wmi is activated in the guests.
But when I try to see which guests are running on the host, i get the above mentioned message "Host has no vms registered".
When I try to see anything at the vm guest, the SIM tells me "no vmware host associated" - so it recognizes the guest as a vmware guest - but the connection is missing.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I'd assumed VMWare ESX, but rereading this seems to be VMware Server, correct?

VMware Server is supported, but you do need to ensure you've gone through the full process before it all starts working.

The VMHost server needs to be licensed and registered in HPSIM. If you haven't purchased a license there are demo licenses available.
Olaf Pelzer
Occasional Contributor

I've already done the whole procedure more than once.
Licensing is done (demo licenses), assigned and checked, identifying is done, un/reregister of the vmm agent, restart of everything is done - still no difference..

Any more idea's?