1752782 Members
6196 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMware ESX 3.0 and P2V

Calboy386
Occasional Contributor

VMware ESX 3.0 and P2V

I am having some difficulties in locating documentation. I have installed SIM 5.0 sp4 with SMP, VMM, and Bladesystems Integrated Manager all version 2.0.2. I have installed a DL380-G4 with ESX 3.0 and it's running 4 VMs that I migrated from a 2.5.x install. I have a 25 pack of licenses for SMP and I now want to "VM" an old Dell 2450. Can someone point me in the right direction as to the next steps?
3 REPLIES 3
Calboy386
Occasional Contributor

Re: VMware ESX 3.0 and P2V

I managed to deploy an SMP client to the target host. I am assuming (dangerous word) that all I need to do now is run the P2V. However, when I do I get "No, iSCSI Initiator not found on the Central Management Server".

Why would this be necessary? There is no iSCSI in our environment.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You cannot use the current version of VMM to migrate servers to ESX 3.0. You'll need to wait until around Nov 24th (I think that's the expected release date). Although I'll qualify that by saying I've not tried using VMM P2V to migrate a server directly to our ESX 3 infrastructure.

The iSCSI Initiator is used to do what is called the driver injection which is the final part of the migration.
It is required whether you have iSCSI or not.
Calboy386
Occasional Contributor

Bummer. It would have been nice if HP explained this to me when I paid for the SW. They were well aware that I was using it to P2V servers.

Regardless, I am now (I have a deadline) trying to get an eval license for 2.5.x which I will use to P2V the servers. Then use VC 2.0 to "move" them to the ESX 3.0 server.

Thank you.