1748165 Members
4053 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VPM Generic Radia Error

David_R
Occasional Advisor

VPM Generic Radia Error

I'm new to SIM so forgive me if this seems 'dumb'.

I've been trying to get patching to work (patch based on scan). Patching tells me that its started, then about 15 minutes later I get: "VPM Generic Radia Error" listed in the Event log of the server that I'm trying to patch. This expands out to: "
Summary Failed to notify device
VPM Patch Date 20060508T13:58:38Z
Notify Details notifyex started
rexec: whgisa01.nhl.co.nz:3465 - radskman mname=RADIA,dname=PATCHMGR,ip=whgsim01,port=3464,ask=n,mnt=y,jobid=20060508132311,hreboot=n - attempt 1
rexec: whgisa01.nhl.co.nz:3465 - radskman mname=RADIA,dname=PATCHMGR,ip=whgsim01,port=3464,ask=n,mnt=y,jobid=20060508132311,hreboot=n - attempt 2
rexec: whgisa01.nhl.co.nz:3465 - radskman mname=RADIA,dname=PATCHMGR,ip=whgsim01,port=3464,ask=n,mnt=y,jobid=20060508132311,hreboot=n - attempt 3
completed: connection refused [error] {connection refused}

I've checked that my creditials are correct under Options/Protocol Settings/Global Protocol Settings/WBEM.

I see mention of a RADIA log file in the forums. Where is that ? Is that what I need to check for more details ?

Thank You,
David
7 REPLIES 7
TitoT
Advisor

Re: VPM Generic Radia Error

Hi David.
I have some questions, please see below:
Which HPSIM version are you using?
What version of VPM you are using?
Is this a new VPM installation or upgrade?
What operating system is being used?
Have you perfomed an Acquire Update?
Could you tell us what patch you are choosing to install?
Are you try to install a patch on the CMS
system or in a target system?
If its a target, are you able to ping the system from CMS system?
Is there any firewall or antivirus installed on target/CMS system?

Thanks in advance.

Bernardo Tagariello
Frequent Advisor

I tend to agree with Tito here.

You are able to scan, meaning that your scan used the outbound credential set of the system to probe. I assume you got some set of vulnerabilities, and you have chosen to apply a patch, or configuration change.

Beware, not to make a configuration change which will lock out all things to your target system.

But in my mind, I see the error message telling us there is something blocking the patch agent on the target system from getting back to the "Mother Ship", and asking for update work to do. Simple to see it is the standard 3 strikes your out retry. In the HP SIM Server, you will find a number of VPM\Radia "log" directories. You should package up what you think is relavant (dates near the failing operation), zip them up and post them.
Also on the target system, you will find a number of "Novadigm" "log" file directories with logs. Again, include them as well.

Questions:
1) Have the HP SIM or VPM credentials changed since your installation?
2) Are there any blocking types of products which may be redirecting or blocking TCP/IP ports that VPM may be using on both the target system and the HP SIM CMS system?
3) How well do you trust your DNS and your networks routing? Is the "Phone Home" message going no where because of bad DSN translation or poor routing?
4) How many NICs on each system (HP SIM server and the targets). This has been known to cause issues if the default nic (1st nic) is not the path to the targets.

Just some thoughts.
tag
David_R
Occasional Advisor

Hey guys. I'll make 2 post to keep the answers to your questions separate in hopes of making the 'read'a bit easier.

Tito,

I'm using Sim version 5.0 SP4. Fresh install of everything, Sim server, all components VPM, PMP, VMM, etc...
The SIM server is W2K3 SP 1 as are the other servers that I am patching.

This is the only server that has failed to this date. The creditials are the same for each and shouldn't work on the successful ones and not this one.

I can aqquire updates to the SIM server with no problems and can run the vulnerability report against the 'problem server', just can't patch it. I'm using the 'Patch fix based on a scan' option.

I've picked various patches but all fail with the same 'Connection Refused' error.
Some are -
MS05-045, MS05-054, MS05-014, MS06-011

I am patching a target server and not the CMS. I can ping both ways from the CMS and the target, by # and by name.

Windows Firewall is turned off on both servers and no av at the moment. That server is yet to be built.
David_R
Occasional Advisor

Bernardo -

Your assumptions are correct. I scanned for vulnerabilities and then performed a 'patch' based on the scan. I've just been selecting one or 2 patches until I get a successful result.

All of the other servers have patched with no problems. They go through the licensing portion of the patch deployment (I can even see them as licensed in the report) and then patch successfully. This one obtained the license but won't 'take' any of the patches.

1) No change of credentials. Fresh install. Have even tried re-typing the passwords under the Global Protocol Settings. One password for all W2K3 servers and this is the only one that doesn't work.

2) Windows firewall is turned off. Right now the system I'm trying to patch is W2K3 SP1 without any other products on top.

3) I can ping each way - from the SIM server to the target and vise versa. By # and by name. AD/DNS doesn't report any errors

4) There are 2 NICs on the SIM server and the target server - teamed and IP assigned on the team. Both are DL 385 G1s

Will post log files shortly.

Thanks guys :-)
David_R
Occasional Advisor

Guys -

I looked at through the RADIA log files and didn't really see anything that caught my eye (surprisingly). So I looked on the target system for the Novadigm logs. I found an rma.log in C:\Novadigm\ManagementAgent. This maybe what you are looking for. There seems to be alot of errors where it's trying to 'register' with the SIM server.

Please let me know how best to proceed.

Thanks,
David
David_R
Occasional Advisor

Well...
I think have the WHY ? But I don't have the 'What now?' answer.

Seems that the other sysadmin up here has installed ISA2004. With my minimal knowlege of ISA... I'm guessing that maybe port 3466 is closed after the ISA install ?

If so...
How do you run VPM on an ISA box ?

David_R
Occasional Advisor

Well...
I think have the WHY ? But I don't have the 'What now?' answer.

Seems that the other sysadmin up here has installed ISA2004 on the target already. With my minimal knowlege of ISA... I'm guessing that maybe port 3466 is closed after the ISA install ?

If so...
How do you run VPM on an ISA box ?