Re: VPM Updates

shorton_1
Occasional Advisor

VPM Updates

I am running: Version: Systems Insight Manager 5.0 - Windows
Build version: C.05.00.00.00
Build date: 2005-08-04 16:56
ProLiant Essentials Vulnerability and Patch Management Pack 2.00

I am trying to send patches after a scan and am getting this message when I check the status of the patches this is the message I am seeing:
Vulnerability in Network Connection Manager Could Allow Denial of Service (905414) Install - Requested

When I try to send updates via VPM 2.0 I am getting this message:

Vulnerability in the Client Service for NetWare Could Allow Remote Code Execution (899589) Install - Requested

Anyone know why it is requested and not successful?

The repository seems to have the updates ready to go so I am at a loss?
thanks...
What is the Requested status I cannot find any documentation on it and why is it giving this message. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Jennifer_74
Frequent Advisor

Install requested means that you have requested installation of the patch. If a patch remains in this state it usually means that the patch agent is not reponding to requests to start patching.

Verify that you have the patch agent installed on the target (Add/Remove Programs should list Radia Client). If it is not installed, verify that you have the Protocol Settings correct for the system and try re-installing patch agent (Deploy -> VPM -> Patch Agent). You should get an event stating that the agent install succeeded or failed.

Once your patch agent is installed, you can trigger the installation of requested patches by running Deploy -> VPM -> Validate Installed Patches.
shorton_1
Occasional Advisor

I have a new symptom, the few systems I have tried to patch have rebooted and now sit at applying computer settings, but will not advance any further. I see the "rma radia management agent" service that looks like it is stuck on starting. VPM was working fine until I just put the Version 2 update on about a week ago and got it fully licensed. The agents were already on these systems before the update and working fine.
shorton_1
Occasional Advisor

I tried to remove the radia agent and vpm from my SIM server. Everything seemed to uninstall ok, however when I run the VPM setup after rebooting the system it says that VPM is allready installed but it no longer shows up in Add Remove Progs, but the menus are still in my HP SIM console but give errors when you try and access them. What are the steps to manually remove VPM or make the installer realize it is no longer there?

thanks,

Scott
TitoT
Advisor

Hi shorton.

It seems that the VPM was not correctly removed. I have some questions.

As this a new VPM installation or upgrade?

Are there are any files and directorys on \Program Files\HP\vpm?

could you please provide the files of c:\vpmsetuplogs ?

shorton_1
Occasional Advisor

Yes this was an upgrade from version 1.0 I think. There is still a Harris folder in that location. I have attatched the logs.
TitoT
Advisor

Hi Shorton.
In order to try to workaround this issue, follow the steps below:
1: Remove the VPM folder and subfolders and all theirs files in "\Program Files\HP\VPM"
2: Remove the file "versions.dat" is in the HPSIM directory: "C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\hpwebadmin\webapps\ROOT\mxportal\VPM"
3: Open the Registry Editor and remove the following registry key (if it exist)
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HP Vulnerability And Patch Management_is1"

Then Install the VPM 2.0 again.
Let me know the results.

Thanks in advance.
shorton_1
Occasional Advisor

I reinstalled VPM and tried to deploy patches to a server. It seemed to install the patches however, after I rebooted the Windows 2003 Server system it got stuck at applying computer settings screen on startup. I checked the services and the RMA service was stuck at starting. This happened on multiple systems. It eventually timed out after about 4-6 hours. I tried to re deploy the VPM client to the servers with no luck? Any idea what is wrong now?
Jennifer_74
Frequent Advisor

As a workaround for servers running VPM Version 2.0, perform the following steps:

1. Reboot the unresponsive server and access Windows Safe Mode.
2. Open the Windows Service Management Console.
3. Access the General Properties for the Radia Management Agent Service.
4. Change the Startup Type from Automatic to Manual or Disabled.
5. Restart the server.

VPM 2.0.1 will be released later this month and will fix the RMA issue. You can redeploy the VPM Patch Agent or reset the server to start automatically after you have installed the Vulnerability and Patch Management Pack 2.0.1. The next patching session for the target system automatically updates the RMA service.
kkalts

One would think that since Radia is installed with VPM it would also be uninstalled when removing VPM however it must be disabled or uninstalled separately.