9110 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Verify this for me please

Jeremy D Pavleck
Occasional Advisor

Verify this for me please

Ok, HP SIM on Server A.

On Server B I've installed the Proliant Support Pack, configured everything, imported ServerA's cert. Set up Windows 2003's SNMP server to send traps to ServerA with a custom COMMUNITY.

SIM says ServerA is trusted, everything looks good.

Pull drive on ServerA, nothing. Setup the Event Notification to email an individual on ServerA. Pull drive again, this time I receive an email from the server, but nothing via SIM.

The only thing I get alert-wise is logins/logouts and server reachable, unreachable. I'm literally at my wit's end about this - I have no clue what I missed!

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Does SNMP on the HPSIM server know to accept traps with that community name?
I've also set teh HPSIM Server to accept SNMP requests from all hosts.

You may also want to check that the community names are in the HPSIm Global Settings (under options).

A simple way to check SNMP can send traps is to fire up the HP Management Agents GUI (in Control Panel), there's an SNMP Trap send button there, that should generate a Major Event on HPSIM.
Jeremy D Pavleck
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, it knows to accept traps from mycommunity. I checked global settings and my SNMP community is there and set to the right one.
The SNMP trap service is started on the HPSIM box - this is Windows Server 2003 SP1, btw.

If I click on "Test Settings" on the management page, it tells me it's sent a test message. I receive it, but only because I setup the 'Event Notifier Config' with the proper email settings. It doesn't show up at all on HPSIM, all I have in the "All Events" is login information and system reachable/unreachable.

Anything else I should try? Any information you people need to make it easier to help me figure this out?

Does SNMP on the HPSIM server know to accept traps with that community name?
I've also set teh HPSIM Server to accept SNMP requests from all hosts.

You may also want to check that the community names are in the HPSIm Global Settings (under options).

A simple way to check SNMP can send traps is to fire up the HP Management Agents GUI (in Control Panel), there's an SNMP Trap send button there, that should generate a Major Event on HPSIM.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You can check what events have been received for a particular server by clicking on the server name and then going to the vents tab.

If there are no major events there triggered from the snmp trap send then there's still an snmp issue.
yes, SNMP on the HPSIM server will need the same community names and setiings as all other servers. The only difference is you can restrict the allowed hosts on the other servers.

If a Major event is triggered then you need to set up an Automatic Event handling task to e-mail when those alerts are received.
Jeremy D Pavleck
Occasional Advisor

You're being a great sport about this.

Clicked on the server name, then events - all I see is "DIscovered System". Now I'm really curious on what I did wrong.

What are the services I need running on the HPSIM server to allow these traps to get through? Maybe I'm missing something. SNMP looks like it should be setup correctly, and I've dealt with SNMP & settings for 10 years now, so I ought to know what I'm doing - but then again you never know.