1748324 Members
3312 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Version Control Agent - Product is Installed but not Upgradeable

Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

Version Control Agent - Product is Installed but not Upgradeable

On multiple servers I have a problem where a product shows as installed on the system. The product has a newer version in the support pack. Because of the difference in versions the software status for the machine gets into a minor alert status. When I try to install the software on the system I get the following message, "The software does not need to be installed on this system.". I also can't find a way to uninstall. Refreshing the inventory on the servers returns the same list.

So is there a way to get rid of these software components, let SIM ignore them, or actually get them to upgrade?

Here are the ones I'm seeing for these servers in question:
-hp ProLiant 32-Bit SCSI Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003
-HP ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows 2000
-hp ProLiant Drive Array Notification for Windows 2000/Server 2003

Thanks,
Tim
19 REPLIES 19
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

How were these systems deployed? Did it originate as an image or a mirror on a previous system? It sounds like something was installed that was previously valid but now no longer is.

Can they be un-installed from the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel?
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

I do believe they were imaged. No, these items do not appear in add/remove programs (or any other HP item).

Tim
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've seen this on Servers that have been upgraded or the hardware changed. The Drivers for the old hardware remains. The VCA will not upgrade it, because it assesses that the Driver is not used. You can't delete the Driver in Windows because there's no device that it's attached to.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Duh-my mistake. You did say driver.

At one time there was a Windows 2000 "primer utility" that uninstalled all ProLiant-related stuff on an NT4 system in preparation for upgrade to Win2K (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/10776.html) but I don't think it works on Win2K.

Basically, it seems that Windows is okay with this (presumably plug-n-play realizes that the hardware that needs these drivers doesn't exist and so doesn't try to use them). The issue is that they are present on the disk and probably have some registry entry that refers to them so the PSP can find them and complain about them. Deleting the actual files probably won't be enough.

However, this problem is not going to be unique to components of the PSP...anything for which there was a driver in the previous machine that doesn't contain that hardware now will be in the same boat...there just isn't a pesky version control utility to complain about it.

You can avoid the problem in the future when imaging by first preparing the system with the Microsoft utility SYSPREP. I didn't get into too much detail, but it appears that SYSPREP with the /pnp switch might be able to be run on these systems in question to clean up the drivers that aren't needed. I'm not an expert in this area, but maybe someone out there knows.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Tim:

Any chance these systems are running the 6.1 or earlier PSP? I just saw an advisory cross my desk that indicates this may have been addressed in 6.2 and later. In this case the problem is reported as occuring when a piece of hardware is removed (like taking out a NIC or something) but I think the result would be the same.
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

David,

Thanks for the continued looking into this. These servers are all at PSP 7.0. In fact all the software that could be updated in VCA is updated with the exception of these ones in this state.

Tim
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

OK, here is where I am at now. I started with looking at the "SCSI Controller Driver". I looked around and found the inventory.xml file. I found the .sys file it was looking for and simply renamed it. It no longer showed up in the list. But it seemed like there was something else going on besides just renaming the file.

So I named it back and went into device manager. I don't know why I didn't start here a long time ago, but there were multiple SCSI devices listed above and beyond the 5i that is actually installed in the server. I removed all of them, rebooted, went back into VCA and the "SCSI Controller Driver" was no longer there. The .sys file was still on the hard drive but at least SIM was now happy.

So I went on to the next two. The "Management Controller" points to
cpqasm2.sys and the "Drive Array Notification" points to cpqdaen.sys. I'm thinking these are probably the same type of thing where a phantom device is installed that should be removed, but I don't know what devices these would be. Anyone have an idea of what actual hardware device names these drivers would point back to?

Tim
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

One correction. The driver is cpqasm.sys and not cpqasm2.sys.
Matthew Lattanzio

I also have the same issue but dont see the XML file pointing to a driver exactly. Can you give some more detail on how to remove the driversor atleast how to remove them from vcagent inventory. Cant have yellow in the CIM console.