4943 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Version Control Agent hangs

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've opened a call with HP.
Unlike Nelson, I've not seen this until recently.
It is easy to generate the condition here.
Restart the VCA, then immediately run the SW Polling task. In the C:\hp\hpsmh\data\cgi-bin\vcagent\cache directory only 4 files are created and one (loclinv.xml) is zero length.
Once done the VCA will hang on requests to it.

To correct, kill / restart the VCA and then immediately browse to the VCA. This time 5 files will be created and loclinv.xml will not be zero length.
I'll update when I get a significant update. Others may want to open calls as it may help in the overall diagnosis. Reference this thread in the call.

Rob:

That's the same process I went through to reproduce the problem with the support case I logged. Unfortunately, we were only able to reproduce the problem on the CMS using this method. Are your results also limited to the CMS?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

No, I can reproduce the error at will on any number of different servers.
Mostly on PSP 8.10 and above. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Also I've done this on x86 and x64 variants. All Servers W2K3 SP2 with some R2 variants.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've tested a beta version of the next release of the VCA. It resolves this issue, well it did here on the servers I tested. No idea about release dates, just keep a look out for version 2.2.2.835 or later.
simonwirral
Advisor

any news on the new (and hopefully working) version of VCA?

Thanks
is there more to this box of bits???
n.price
Advisor

have HP taken the QA manager for these software updates and fired them into the sun?

the last few rounds of PSP agents & the VCRM have had terrible problems!

Are HP even testing their software on their own systems?

Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

I had many problems with PSP v8.30 (VCA. SHM) and HP SIM 5.3 sp1 with hot fix for a fresh install on ProLiant DL385 G2 server running Win2k3 Enterprise SP2 with SQL 2005 Enterprise.

HP SIM console is a prime time tools for Hardware monitoring, since we have over 3300 ProLiant servers configured for Hardware monitoring.

Finally I found the workaround solution as follows:

1.Keep the HP SIM 5.3 on the server.

2.Do not install PSP v8.30, keep PSP v.8.15B

3.Uninstalled VCA, VCRM and SMH, reboot.

4.Install SMH (2.1.15.210 ├в cp009426.exe), VCA (2.1.10.801 ├в cp008925.exe) and VCRM (2.2.1.830 - cp010140.exe).

Since then HP SIM very stable

Version 2.2.2.235 of VCA has been released and resolves this issue.
Dirk Frey
Advisor

I have updated VCRM and VCs to version 2.2.2.835 - and now it works fine on all of our servers.

Thanks to HP - I have wasted a lot of time for this case.
JasonWoerner
Frequent Advisor

I'm running this version on all ProLiants. Temporarily solves issue. But after data gathering every two weeks all of the blue question marks return. Seems like querying multiple ProLiants at the same time makes them all time out.