Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748286 Members
3713 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Version Control Repository Manager 7.5 constantly rebuilding / validating the catalog

Astreseth
Collector

Version Control Repository Manager 7.5 constantly rebuilding / validating the catalog

Hi All,

I've been using The HP Version Control Repository v 7.2 with my HP SIM for a few years now.
Recently the catalog crashed (AGAIN). I wasn't able to connect to it and the catalog is beeing constantly validated.

My catalog only contains stuff for Windows 2003/2008/2012 so a lot less than it can handle.
Still, the catalog is beeing validated for the 5th day and doesn't seem to ever end.
I have deleted all the files from my repository and ran a fresh download and validation - still the same thing.
It's beeing validated and I can't connect to is, using any VCAgent version.

Before the weekend I've done an update from HP SIM 7.2 do 7.4 and then to 7.5 since from 7.2 to 7.5 wasn't possible.
I've launched the catalog validation and it's still beein validated since Friday evening - which is 4 days now.

The VCRM web interface is quite rubbish - doesn't allow any extended logging, settings or troubleshooting.

How can i fix this ? Are there any CMD tools that I could use to fix such a behaviour ?

Best Regards,
Bart

12 REPLIES 12
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Version Control Repository Manager 7.5 constantly rebuilding / validating the catalog

Hello,

How many SPP'S do you have loaded?  Is the SIM server also the VCRM server? And if the server virtual or hardware?

Kind regards,

Andrew
Astreseth
Collector

Re: Version Control Repository Manager 7.5 constantly rebuilding / validating the catalog

Hi Andrew,

Yes - I'm hosting the HP SIM and VCRM on the same server with about 600 (98% HP ProLiant) servers in HP SIM.

I have 6 large PSPs for ProLiant servers only and 1826 of smaller cpXXXXXX.exe files responsible for tools and single drivers, firmware etc. They are mostly used by the VCAgent when You wish to upgrade a single component.

It's a PROLIANT DL380 G7 machine. It's been running fine for a few years.

Majority of the resources is usualy occupied by HP SIM / SQL Server.

DB is also located there locally on SQL Server 2008 R2. 

HP SIM DB is the biggest one, there are only few smaller DBs hosted on the same SQL Server.

The werid thing is that the VCRM service doesn't seem to be running fine. Each time I try to stop it it times out and I have to manually kill the process. Same thing after upgrade from 7.2 to 7.4, same thing after upgrade from 7.4 to 7.5.

Somehow I don't belive this catalog is validating. It's taking so long cuz it's hang / pendind some operation.

The worst thing is that the logging / troubleshooting capabilities are very limited.

There is nothing I can do apart from rescan & rebuild the catalog from the WWW menu.

I've tried to run the service .exe with some parameters but there are none for VCRM.

Any suggestions are quite welcomed as I haven't found anything on google about such a problem.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I always disable the auto download feature and upload the PSP & SPPs i need by hand in separare folders just to keep rhings clean. This works fine for me, i have 5 baselines loaded.

Kind regards,

Andrew
cesarpegado
Valued Contributor

Andrew,

I've followed your advice on just add SPP's to the repository.

So i've added the 2 lastest ones 2015 04 and 2015 06. Now in SIM i don't have any baselines set. So when i click on sw colum which is cuurently a blue ? i can see the server has windows 2008 r2, but i need to assign it to a baseline, and when i do it comes up with a list of baselines starting from bp000764.xml (8.50) going down to bpc6a61.xml (1.0.0)

I assumed there would be just a generic baseline for the SPP, whch it would look against.

Did you have to create a custom baseline for every server type and find what updates are available in those SPP's?

thanks

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

The XML files should read as normal names, i would reboot the SIM server. Or if that's not an option restart the VCRM, SMH and HP SIM services. The baseline can be set in SIM or VCA on the remote server. I would only set the baselines from SIM under Deploy > Software/Firmware Baselines> Manage Software/Firmware Baselines. If you get an error that you did not name a Version control Repository look at the top right for the button Select Default Version Control Repository. If you have set this to the VCRM/SIM server wich has a trust with SIM you should be ready to go. Select your baseline and click on the Add/Remove Systems button. You can now add one or a collection of servers. This should be saved and the blue buttons should change to Green/Yellow or Orange depending on the patches required.
Kind regards,

Andrew
cesarpegado
Valued Contributor

I've reset the server, but i'm still showing lots of baselines in the list, but when i search the server for these files, i think i could only find 1 of them. So somewhere HP SIM knows this list of old baselines, but i can't seem to get it forget to the old ones. 

I've done the same process on anotehr HP SIM server, and that one only shows the 1 new SPP which i woulc expect.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You can create a new directory for your repository, unpack your SPP in the new created directory and change your Repository settings in the VCRM under settings. If this works you can delete the old folder.

The folder contains index files so any old SPPS can still show up.
Kind regards,

Andrew
Astreseth
Collector

Just wanted to bump my own thing. I stil got this problem - 3rd month now - really frustrating.

The HP Version Control Repository manager cannot be connected. It's validating the catalog all the time.

The most frustrating thing is that there is no extended logging. There are no usefull logs in the System Log, Application Log. The Log of VCRM only shows "catalog vlaidation started" - nothing more.

What a **bleep**ty software ! Beware !

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I don't think HP is going to this for you as they want you to use HP SUM. I've got 10 VCRM/SIM servers, none with this problem so i think it's either a specific SPP problem or an external program that's causing the problem but without proper logging you can never be sure.  The only use for the VCRM is to compare installed software to a baseline rather then deployment. They've got HP SUM for that. You can also use Oneview if you don't have legacy hardware.

Just for replacing SIM for Oneview there are no licences required.

Kind regards,

Andrew