New Discussion

Version Control Repository Manager Behavior

SOLVED
Go to solution
AWo
Frequent Advisor

Version Control Repository Manager Behavior

Hello,

I do not understand the behavior of my repository manager (Ver. 7.3.4.0 on W2K8 R2 on HP DL380, 4 CPU, 4 GB RAM).

1. For the automatic download of software I only marked W2K3 and W2K8 but I get over 9.000 files downloaded including all the W2K, XP, Win7, SuSE and Redhat Linux Stuff, Itanium Systems and a lot more. Why if I only wanted to have the W2K3 and W2K8 stuff?

2. After cleaning up the catalog (removing the packages I don't need) and setting the automatic download to weekly/Sunday 2 days ago, I needed to restart the service today as it consumed more than 1 GB of RAM (still increasing) and the service was not accessible (since yesterday noon). After starting the service again it started to download packages again, as the number of files starts to increase from 5.966 to whatever it will come up with.

3. Catalog rebuilding (where I do not understand why and when the repository manager thinks it has to do that) takes more than 32 hours.

Greetings

AWo

7 REPLIES 7
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Version Control Repository Manager Behavior

Hello,

As with other issues with the Repository automatic download i recomend to download the PSP and/or SPP by hand unpack the package and put them in the repository directory. This way you have control of what is available in the repository.

Disable all downloads and deselect the OS options. The VCRM will see these changes and build your baselines.

Kind regards,

Andrew
AWo
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, I'll try that...as soon as I have access to the VCRM again. Actually it doesn't appear on the SMH, because it is still busy with something...whatever that is.

However, this is really a very disappointing piece of software. It seems that you can't use it as it should be used.

AWo

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

To freeup the VCRM uninstall it, employee the Repository directory and reinstall the VCRM. In SIM you can reconnect the VCRM by selecting it again i SIM. BE sure to keep the settings for download diabled.
Kind regards,

Andrew
AWo
Frequent Advisor

Hello Andrew,

I did exactly as you told me. The VCRM is running again and I imported two Support packs. That's fine so far. I was able to connect to the VCRM. But after importing the Support Packs the VCRM sometimes appears on the SMH, sometimes not. Even if I use the VCRM server local browser. It seems to haben when the catalog is rebuild.

The number of files in the repository directory permanently toggles between 569 and 570.

It always takes several minutes to open the SMH or the something related to the VC(RM).

:-(  That software really makes me mad.

Greetings

AWo

AWo
Frequent Advisor

Tz, tz....

now the VCRM sometimes appears in the SMH, sometimes not. Local or remote. What should I think about that? Th eLog tells me that the catalog rebuild has finished.

AWo

AWo
Frequent Advisor

I managed to access the VCRM locally. Regarding the log the catalog build is completed and I can see the two support packs, in the SMH the VCRM ist marked green and OK.

But...when I switch to the VC Agent to connect to the local repository it tells me that this is invalid. After that the VCRM and the VC have disappeared from the SMH.

I'm so glad that we continue to virtualize and I do not have to manage this software in the future anymore....

Greetings

AWo

AWo
Frequent Advisor
Solution