Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version Control usage question

SOLVED
Go to solution
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Version Control usage question

I'm working on implementing 5.0 SP2 here and I'm up to trying to push out a Support Pak (7.40a) to a few Windows 2000/2003 machines running a mix of 7.20, 7.30, and some older versions. I've come up with two issues that I need some help with.

First, when I have the option to configure the System Management Home Page, I'd like to select Trust by Cert. Where do I find the cert that SIM normally uses so I can select it in this dialog? I've logged into other servers after setting up agents and been prompted to login and import the cert the first time, so I know it's there someplace.

Second, after I run through an attempted update, I'm getting an error message saying that all attempts to connect to the target server failed. I'm not sure what methods SIM is trying to use to connect, so I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. By any chance is OpenSSH required before I can push a support pack from the SIM console?

Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Version Control usage question

For the Certificate the easiest way is to Export it from HPSIM.
Go to Options->Security->Certificates->Server Certificates and hit the Export Tab.
This should create a servcert.cer file in the directory of your choice.
You can just open that in Notepad and cut and paste it into the Trust Certificate config box.

As for deployment, I don't believe they need SSH, you should be able to use suitable domain credentials. Probably of the form domain\username.
If not you would need to pick a suitable local account.
For individual Servers I've found the fastest way is to just run setup.exe from the PSP which fires up the Remote deployment Utility. You can configure the Agents from this screen and also use it to deliver the PSP to a target Server.
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Rob,

I'll give that a shot for the cert.

As for the updates, I've used the Remote Deployment tool. However, once I have this box configured the way we need it, it will be supporting a couple hundred servers. We want to leverage SIM to push out updates to groups of servers as we approve new support packs.

It seems like the process should be simple, but each time I've tried the pack downloads to the CMS, then I receive an error stating the target server could not be accessed. Seems very odd.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Once you've got the Trusts established they should deploy.

I have seen issues on slower links. You may want to look at scheduling groups of Servers to deploy the PSP to rather than all in one hit.
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Rob,

Pasting the cert into the cert data box, giving it a name, and clicking "add" seems to have done the trick (from VCR -> Configure a Component -> Systems Management Homepage).

I've since sucessfully pushed software updates to two boxes. I believe the issue may be with boxes running agents < 7.30 (prior to OS integrated login) where the VCA may still be looking for accounts named "operator" or "user" on the machine hosting the VCR.