1752796 Members
5860 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Version control agent needs to be restarted after reboot

harry white_2
Occasional Advisor

Version control agent needs to be restarted after reboot

I am running Windows 2000 on a DL360 G5. I have set up SNMP and the VCA correctly and I am using certificate authentication. Everything works apart from I have restart VCA after a reboot. I have tried upgrading to the latest version of VCA and the PSP, but to no avail. Has anyone else seen this problem?
12 REPLIES 12
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

What error?
What versions of agents?
Did you install the entire PSP or just the agents?
harry white_2
Occasional Advisor

I have installed PSP 7.60A and also upgraded the Version Control Agent to 2.1.8.780.

After the server has been rebooted, all services appeared to be started (I checked in the services MMC). However when you try to open the VCA the page times out. If I restart the the VCA service, the page opens as normal.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

We are having the same trouble but we are running version 7.70. It does not happen on all of our servers however. We are also having trouble with the System Management Homepage as well. When you try to access it, it says that there isn't one. I restart that service, restart the VCA, run an identify system, and then run a software poll. After that, they both respond until the next time the server is rebooted.
Our servers are ML370 G4's running 2003.
Gladiator
Valued Contributor

Hi,
Can you Check the VCA service properties is set to automatic. If it is manual, Set it to Automatic.

If VCRM repository contains more than 1000 Components it may get timed out.
harry white_2
Occasional Advisor

Yes, the service is set to automatic :-)

How would I go about checking the number of items in the VCRM?
Rancher
Honored Contributor

All of my services are also set to automatic. The services do start, so that is not a problem, they just don't work properly and need a little effort to get them going correctly.
harry white_2
Occasional Advisor

I have managed to find a work around for this. If I make the VCA service dependent on the HP Insight Foundation Agents service then VCA works properly first time after a reboot.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this?
TechGuru
Trusted Contributor

As "Gladiator" told above, It must be the VCRM load issue.

VCA use VCRM to calculate status & to get available updates.

Every time VCRM server or VCRM service is restarted, it will scan the complete repository folder for consistency. this might make VCRM busy & not respond to VCA query.
harry white_2
Occasional Advisor

VCRM is running on a different server though it is not being restarted. Maybe the VCA service is starting up too soon and cannot contact the VCRM. Would the service fail to start if it could not contact the VCRM?