New Discussion юеВ

Virtual Machine Reports

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Virtual Machine Reports

Hi.

Does anyone know how to create reports on Virtual Machine statistics? We are managing VmWare GSX Hosts with the Virtual Machine management Pack, but there doesn't seem to be any reports built in to SIM that are relevant? For example, CPU usage, memory usage, disk usage etc. would all be useful!

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Rider
Trusted Contributor

Re: Virtual Machine Reports

Hi,
Can you PMP 4.4 or later (Performance management Pack). From PMP Virtual machines can be monitor and you can see the utilization of the Memory and processor and you can genarate reports for the Virtual Machines also.
A Real man makes his own luck
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Ok, that's good for alerting but I was looking for reports similar in nature to those you can get for Proliant Servers. I can't believe you can get details on Virtual Machines when you go to the VM Host HomePage (including Guest OS etc.) but you can't report on it???
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ian,
You've changed the question.
Reporting on performance data, e.g. CPU usage etc. isn't that easy.
But being able to reporting on OS versions, Memory size, Disk Usage is the same for VM's as it is for physical servers.
The trick is to ensure the data is being collected.
I use wbem for all of the virtual guests.
To do this, I enable wbem globally with no credentials. And then set wbem details for each of the wbem guests.
As part of this I maintain a bat file that uses the mxnodesecurity utility that has an entry for each server. So if the domain account I'm using has a password change I can use this bat file to update the local wbem entries.
I've just run a report selecting all ESX Guests, I reported on OS versions, Memory size and logical disk usage.
There is one known issue, the percentage used figure for wbem collected data is always 100%
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Rob has answered my question fully, thanks for your help!