1753450 Members
6035 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual Machines not recognized

Oliver Berry
Occasional Contributor

Virtual Machines not recognized

I would like to get my VMware ESX windows VMs to be shown as such in SIM5 SP5.

They currently show as system type unknown, and Product Model is blank.

I dont need VMM as we have other tools for managing VMs but would lke SIM to show Virtual hardware correctly.

If anyone know how to do this - id love to know.

Thanks

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Use WBEM, it will need to be enabled globally in HPSIM, if you don't want global WBEM leave the credentials blank, then you'll need to override these with the server specific wbem credentials.
This will at least identify it has a Virtual machine.
To associate it with a host etc. inside HPSIM you'll need VMM.
Gerald LaVallee
Frequent Advisor

I have similar problem... what account do I use for WBEM Settings? Under the Product Description most servers don't have the WBEM Protocol; what am I missing?
What ever it takes!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

depends on the OS, Windows usually has the WMI installed by default. I use Domain credentials that have full access. You could use local credentials if you want.
Gerald LaVallee
Frequent Advisor

SO then the next step is to Register the VM Host using "Configure / Virtual Machine Host Registration"? When I do that, I get an ShhAuthentication failed. OpenSsh is configured to use the service account installed with... I'm back to square one in that it is very difficult to install and configure OSSH!
What ever it takes!
Wayne from Fla

Here is the real problem that I got from an HP SIM expert: The problem has to do with Microsofts implimentation of WMI. On the SIM server you should have a service called the Pegasus WMI Mapper. This service does the translation for SIM so it can ID servers. It has a problem with VM instances. If you cycle this service, select all of your VM instances, and then select options --> Identify systems it will start to recognize your VM instances. Unfortunately the information will dissapear again when SIM polls for info. I was hoping they would have a fix by now, but I haven't found one.
Dave Behler
Frequent Advisor

Likewise, I can get my VM's to report into SIM, but the next day they are back to unknown. I recycle the wmi mapper and rediscover the vm's and all is fine for another day.

I did see several other posts with people "losing" their VM's and some workarounds to keep them from dropping out. Unfortunately, none of the workarounds seem to work for me. Someone please help!
Greg Bates
Advisor

I am having the same issue. As a workaround, I set up a scheduled server task to restart the WMI service right before the daily Identifiication task that runs in SIM. This has solved the issue for now.
Kimik
Frequent Advisor

Hi Oliver,

I have this problem as well. All VMs are unknown system type. I would at least expect the OS name to be discovered. I'll have a test with WBEM and see how it goes, but it's a shame to need to fiddle with VMs .. longer term maybe VMM helps but really with Virtual Center we dont need the VMM anyway.

kim
There's no present like time
Dave Behler
Frequent Advisor

Kim, I've found that you must use an admin account to successfully query against wbem/wmi via HPSIM. I'm not sure why as I've found several HP documents, white papers and best practices surrounding wmi & vm's that clearly state that no special priviledges are needed.

I'm not sure why this is, but if I don't use an account (whether it is a domain or local server account) that has admin access I get "Unknown WBEM error".

If someone could shed some light on this that would be great.