1752799 Members
5768 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual Machines not recognized

dospavlos
Frequent Advisor

I've only gotten wmi/wbem to work with a user that has local admin priviledges on the target systems. I found an HP doc that states a user with limited rights should be used and a few wmi security changes are required. My case with HP on this has been escalated to the next level of support. I will post any updates.
Dave Behler
Frequent Advisor

I think I found the document that allows non-admin accounts access via wbem.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/infolibrary.html#b6

From that link select advanced mgmt features and then read the understanding hp sim security. Read the Configure managed systems section on page #10 and it outlines what needs to be done on each system to allow non-admin access into wbem.

I have not tried this as I just stumbled across it.
dospavlos
Frequent Advisor

David, I got this working and that was the doc I used. The doc doesn't state one thing you need to do which I found out from the HP engineer - the security for the user you add in wmi must have it's rights applied to subnamespaces. I also had to add my user to the local 'Distributed COM Users' group. HP Engineer said he got his working without that step. If anyone else gets this working please post your fix. Here's what I did:

ON TARGET SERVER:
Computer Management\WMI Control:
Highlight WMI Control, click Properties
Security/Root/Security/Add
Add domain user and enable 'Enable
Account' & 'Remote Enable'
Advanced, highlight account, Edit
Apply onto: Namespace and subnamespaces

Local Users and Groups/Groups:
Add domain user to 'Distributed COM Users'

CMS CONSOLE:
Protocol Settings/Global Protocol Settings:
Check box for 'Enable WBEM'
Specify domain user & password (domain\user)
Kimik
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all the support folks. I've tried as a first pass adding a local admin user to the WBEM global properties. What has to happen for the OS discovery to occur? I've tried running the Bi-Weekly data collection tasks, Daily Device Identification Task but still the OS type for these VMs isn't populating.

Although as I type I wonder maybe it's the Sofware Version Status Polling. Will run and post back results...
There's no present like time
Kimik
Frequent Advisor

Okay - I ran the software discovery, and the only VM it's identified properly as hardware type "VMWARE Virtual Platform" and running Microsoft Windows OS, is the HPSIM virtual machine itself!

Close but not close enough.

Restarting the mapper and running a idenity job worked for me, thanks

I am seeing another bug. Its adding a one to the guests. So say I have a virtual apse9106 I see apse9106 and apse91061. Not sure what to do about that. Its annoying
Kimik
Frequent Advisor

Not sure how to do this. I've restarted the whole HPSIM server , and run the identification task, still not getting any more VM info...

:(
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've had a lot of fun recently with wbem, but I've now got it back to a stable state (I hope).
I disabled WBEM globally and then stopped the HPSIM Service and then renamed the nodesecurity.xml file. Started the HPSIM Service and let it recreate the wbem file.
At this point I re-entered the HPSIM server for the wmi mapper proxy. I then enabled wbem globally but left the credentials blank.

I then entered server specific domain credentials for a number of VM Servers as well as the as the server that hosts CommandView for our EVA's. This also has a specific wbem credentials for the SMI-S collector.

I then redid some Identification tasks followed by data collections.

I've recently done a P2V migration and after deleting the old physical server and discovering the new one, adding the wbem credentials it was correctly identified.

We also use VMM, but I got the wbem working before the recent update to wbem came out.