4264 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: WBEM Access has stopped working

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

WBEM Access has stopped working

Hi All,

I've found that the WBEM access for the majority of my Servers is no longer working.

My Historical Data tasks are now failing with an error "An error occurred connecting to this system with the WBEM protocol."
Which is odd as there has been no change to the account that is configured in WBEM.

So, I tried to set a System to use the System Properties, not the Global properties. I run the task, go back to check and the Systerm is still using the Global Properties.

Oddly enough I also get different views of what the System Propoerties are depending if I go in via the Options and then Select the Server or go via the Server Name and into the properties that way.
One says that SNMP is using the Global Properties, the other that it's is using Server Specific.
Anyone seen similar?
HPSIM 5
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Just further info.
I've verified it's not the account credentials, I've got some Servers to work successfully with the Global Settings.
I've run a test Historical Data Collection job for three Servers and all worked, another for just two and both failed! Reran after just going in and resaving the WBEM and SNMP Settings from the System Settings box and one worked, one failed.

I have consistently seen a difference between the settings displayed by looking at the System Properties by clicking on the Server name and those displayed if I go into the Options->Protocl Settings->System Protocol settings.
Why that should be I've no idea.

I'm still finding a number of Servers have reverted to using a local setting for the SNMP community names, not the Global Settings. Again, the view can change depending on which way you go in to look at the results.

This may be of use to those folk who believe their SNMP settings are correct but are getting errors that indicate they're not.
Rick_219

Rob

I have also noticed this issue and my Data Collections are now taking 3 times as long to run.
This seems to have happened after applying the SIM 5 hotfix HOTFIX50_001
(http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23910.html)

I'm still investigating but yet to find a fix.

Thanks
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Rick,

Not the issue here as I've not applied the Hotfix yet.
I was thinking there might be something in that that fixed the problem!
Rick_219

Hi Rob

I managed to stop the WBEM protocol errors by resetting the Global Protocol Settings.
To do this I removed the WBEM settings option and selected ok and then went back into the Global Protocols and set the WBEM options back to the correct configuration.

I have been running data collections all day and have not had any WBEM errors since this change......however the data collection which used to take 15 minutes is now taking 1 hour 20 minutes. I have increased the DataCollectionThreadCount but this has had no effect.

Back to the drawing board.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I'd tried that with little change.

Spent most of yesterday on a course so didn't do anything in the way of further changes. last night all but 6 of our Servers completed their Historical collection, the day before that over 60 had failed.

It's this kind of inconsistency that's doing my head in!
How did you incread the DataCollectionThreadCount?
Stefan Laemmer
Valued Contributor

Rob,
i've had the same thing and the only thing that seemed to help was to set the System Properties SSH part up (for All Systems).. Although i dont use SSH on any of my servers, setting a username with rights to the server on that and forcing it out to all servers did the trick. I guess it changed from WBEM over to SSH then.. I'd be interested to see what you can find.. This has been a sore spot of SIM 5 for me, so if you can get this to be fixed..
-Stefan
Rick_219

Rob

To increase the DataCollectionThreadCount edit the file globalsettings.props found in the location "C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config".

After any changes in this file you must restart the HP Systems Insight Manager Service.

Rick
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Last night I 67 worked, 47 failed in the Data Collection task. And I made no changes! Compared to the previous night where only 6 failed.

One thing I did see in the mxdomainmgr.nnnnn.out file was a number of entries where there was a change of status of all my VM Servers during the time the Data Collection task ran. So it seems to be that process that is flagging those back as Unknown.

Also, in some of the larger mxdomainmgr.nnn.out files is the following segment:
11:50:19,501 ERROR [BeanSerializer] Exception:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The char '0x4' in '├в ┬╣^ ├в ┬╣N ├в ┬╣V ^?├Г $PCI' is not a valid XML character.
at org.apache.axis.components.encoding.AbstractXMLEncoder.encode(AbstractXMLEncoder.java:206)

No idea if this is related.