Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WBEM Configuration

david macleod
Occasional Visitor

WBEM Configuration

Hi,

I seem to be getting inconsistent results from data collection requests using WBEM. i.e. sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.
When it doesn't work (on a previously working server) the error message below is delivered to Stdout.

"An error occurred connecting to this system with the WBEM protocol. Check the system configuration"

Can anyone explain why this should be.

Thanks in advance.

David
3 REPLIES
David Libby_4
Regular Advisor

Re: WBEM Configuration

Platforms of client and SIM server? Versions of WBEM either side? Output of cimconfig to see how WBEM is configured on the client side? All this information would help to diagnose.

Cheers,
David
Jens Schröder
Frequent Advisor

Hi David, HP SIM collects data on different ways. Currently the SNMP protocol is well supported and sufficient for data collection. WBEM (Web Based Enterprise Management) is a technology (rather than a protocol) suggested by the DMTF (distributed management task force), which is to replace the SNMP on a long-term basis as management protocol. One goal of WBEM is to exchange network management data on basis of the CIM (common information model) via HTTP (hypertext transfer protocol). We've simply disabled WBEM globally to get rid of those error messages in HP SIM. Unfortunately, we're experiencing a little problem with the SMH of the SIM host itself...
david macleod
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for both of your replies.

It's good to know that I'm not the only person getting these inconsistancies.

On the server side, the platform is w2003 sp1 with wmi version 3790.0000 running HP SIM 5 sp4

On the client machines tested so far

Platforms are W2k(sp4) and NT4(sp6a)both having wmi versions 1085.0005

As for the cimconfig output, I can't seem to find this anywhere and any references I have managed to find are for Linux or HP-UX

Thanks

David