Re: WBEM - How & what to configure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

WBEM - How & what to configure

Hi all

I have just installed HP SIM v5.0SP5.
I have read several postings here about WBEM but haven't figured out how to configure it and what I need it for.

My environment consits mainly of Proliant servers (incl blade servers) and a HP EVA 3000 (with a SMA running Command View EVA). All servers are running either Windows 2000 or 2003.

How do I configure WBEM correctly?
On the first time wizard page, it says that for Windows based systems, I should use a domain account for WBEM
Do I have to do any configuration with regards to WBEM on all the servers I am going to monitor, or is it just on the HP SIM server?

Som tips are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

/Thomas O
5 REPLIES 5
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

http://docs.hp.com/en/418812-001/ch04s02.html

here you go read and you will learn

oh yes for EVA 3000 make sure you configure the version of command view EVa to version 6,there many proble with version 5.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've had a great deal of fun with wbem. Here's what I've found to work best. Although I'm still wrestling with issues I got after I started trying to use it for all servers again.

wbem needs to be enabled globally but I recommend leaving the global credentials blank.

For servers that you need wbem enabled, enable them for specific servers using a domain account or local account. I use the latter for our vmware esx servers.
I use wbem for my Virtual Servers that have neither HP Agents nor snmp installed. If you have those I'm not sure of the additional value of using wbem.

The mxnodesecurity command is your friend, it can be used to script adding or changing wbem credentials. So if you do have a large number of servers you can script password changes quite easily.

For EVA's you'll need to have the wbem credentials that the SMI_S service uses entered into the space for the CV EVA Server.
A discovery "should" pick up the EVA's via CV EVA. As mentioned above CV EVA 6 is better that CV EVA 5, especially as regards SMI-S.

When I entered global wbem credentials I found that my Historical Data collections started failing. There was no indication why.
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Daniel / Rob

Thanks for the information provided. The link to the WBEM documentation didn't enlighten me at all. I have been reading this page several times before, but it really doesn't give any good information at all.

Regarding the WBEM credentials: Where do I configure this? I know where I need to configure it on the HP SIM server, but I don't know where to configure it on all the servers I would like monitor/manage.

I have already configured SNMP on all my servers, so not sure it I need WBEM at all; meaning what aditional information will WBEM provide me with?

Thanks.

/ThomasO
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

There's no wbem client configuration for Windows Servers.
If you leave the wbem global credentials blank then you configure server specific credentials via HPSIM as well. Either via Options->Protocol settings->System Protocol Settings or by clicking on the Server name then Tools and Links-> System Protocol Settings.

For standard windows on HP Servers where you have the HP Agents installed I'm not too sure of the benefit of wbem. I do know it seems to cause problems with some data collections tasks. Well it has here.

As noted above I use it here for Virtual M/C's and the EVA's.
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Rob for good information provided.

From your information and from what I have read in other postings, I think I will disable it default, but enable it for selected devices like my EVA SMA, etc.

Thanks.

/ThomasO