1753717 Members
4574 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

WBEM Indications never happen

Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

WBEM Indications never happen

Using CMS on Linux V5.2 Upd 2. Have Setup Pegasus WMI Mapper Proxy on a Windows 2003 box (actually a VM). I can subscribe fine and mxwbemsub -l -n host returns:
Destination: string:Destination=https://0.0.0.0:50004/host?wbemip=

But if I try to send an test indication with the CMS (it is a success) but nothing turns up. BTW: SNMP events do. I see the WBEM event with a source of HP Test in the Windows Event Viewer. And if I manually run HPWbemTestEvent.exe with any level (info, warn, error) they all show up in the managed systems event log but never reach the CMS.

It seems that they are being sent but never get though the WMI Mapper.

On the mapper the pegasus service is running and in the windows event log I see a login when the test event is sent with an anonymous logon but that's it.

There are no firewalls running on any of the systems (managed, CMS or proxy) just in case.

The CMS is set to use the WMI Mapper Proxy using the correct system that has pegasus runnig on it and port 5989.

So I'm stumped at why nothing turns up.
Is there anything else I can do to work out what is wrong?
6 REPLIES 6
Newton S
Frequent Advisor

Re: WBEM Indications never happen

DNS is necessary for WBEM events to be delivered (i.e CMS should be able to ping the target with hostname & FQDN and similarly Target should also be able to ping CMS with hostname and FQDN)

Based on the mxwbemsub -l results,
looks like there is some name resolution problem and so the WBEM indication destination is set to https://0.0.0.0:50004

And on the Peagsus proxy server there should be 2 services running. (under services.msc)
1.Pegasus WMI Mapper
2.Pegasus WMIMapper Indications Service

if the 2nd service isn't present, reinstall Mapper proxy by selecting full install.
Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for tips. We usually only use short names to allow steering via DNS so I used a FQDN. Everything can ping everything either way. But the result has not changed mxwbemsub still has 0.0.0.0 in it.

I'm assuming that the 0.0.0.0 in this case is meant to be the address of the CMS (?) since it would be the only thing listening to port 50004. However, if I try to attached in a browser to that URL:port I get connection failure from IE and ssl_error_bad_cert_alert from firefox. But I have no problems connecting on port 50000 to the CMS.
Newton S
Frequent Advisor

Did u try?
Unsubscribing and then re Subscribing

mxwbemsub -r -n host

mxwbemsub ├в a ├в n host

Newton S
Frequent Advisor

Yes instead of 0.0.0.0 there should be CMS address

mxwbemsub -a -n host
Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

OK I tried that but it does not fix it. BTW, I have tried several different windows boxes and they all do the same thing.

I also tried using the CMS name and/or IP address on the -a and a -m but nothing changes this.

Is there any way to manually edit the address on the target host?
Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

On another topic, I tried on the target machine to put the URL seen with mxwbemsub -l replacing the 0.0.0.0 with the IP address of the CMS. But IE throws up a certificate dialog (The website you want to view requests identification). Buy disabling this I just get a page error. I'm not sure if this proves anything but is the target missing something?