Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751766 Members
4811 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: WBEM Polling is working, but No Events/alerts are being created/emailed on monitored VM Host

DaveLewis
Occasional Advisor

WBEM Polling is working, but No Events/alerts are being created/emailed on monitored VM Host

First let me start by saying I'm totally green when it comes to SIM.  I have it installed on a Windows server for the sole purpose of monitoring some of the critical hardware components like power supplies and hard drives etc.  on my VMware esxi 5.5.0 servers.

I have SIM running.. I have the WMI Mapper Proxy running.

SIM discovered both the ILO and the VM host, as well as the vm machines running on the host, and when it did i did get email notification of those events.

I ran through the subscribe WBEM events which reported it was succesful.  I believe I have all the required hp offline packages installed on the VM Host. 

under the mangement protocols on the host I does show WBEM 
WBEM:1.0, SSH:SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.6

When I pull a power supply, the Health status eventually updates with a minor failure but at no point does the even show up in the events section and of course I also do not get notified by email. 

I have restarted both the SIM server, as well as the VM Host several times, I have deleted and rediscovered the box a couple of times. 

after a couple of days beating my head against the desk I'm at a loss.  Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas.  Is this something that is a normal stupid newbie mistake ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave

30 REPLIES 30
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Re: WBEM Polling is working, but No Events/alerts are being created/emailed on monitored VM Host

Your ESXi firewall blocks the WBEM indication to your SIM server. Enable the NFS client rule or build your own rule and it should work.

DaveLewis
Occasional Advisor

Enabled NFS Client (which just for detailed sake is a tcp from any 0-65535), and retested, unfortunetly still the same condition.  I see the failure after a period of time in the System Health in SIM , but not in events for that host.and thus no emails and such.

Dave

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

Do you get any events from the others servers ? Could it be that the Firewall on your SIM server is blocking the WBEM traps ?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

If it is to long ago that you started with your test the ESXi WBEMProvider stack is blocked. Or even worse the CIMMON  Server service failed. I would try to restart (better use stop and afterwards start) the service and check inside SIM on the system page of the esxi host if you can access the WBEM information. You should see NIC Memory Storage information. It takes a certain time until the WBEM information is read from the CIMMON on the ESXi.

I would also check if the subscription still exists. If you use Insight Remote Support it could happen that a time filter blocks your event.

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Good imput from Andrew if you want to see the WBEM indication inside SIM and you have no IRS installed your pegasus WMI Mapper Indication Service  should run which is used for receiving the WBEM Indication for SIM. Sometimes a problem if you used a doamin admin for installation. If the service are not startable try to set the service login account to the user you used for installation.

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

you are right if the event is not shown in the All Event, Email will not be sent. Now there are couple of steps that you have to try:

1) ESXi Image (From HP or Plain Vanilla ESXi), if it is directly from VMware you have to check for teh Providers on ESXi.

esxcli software vib list | grep hp-smx

Providers are must for getting Indication (WMI Mapper plays no role in case of ESXi, it is only for Managing Windows Box).

Get the providers and install them.

2) ReIdentify first after installing the providers. If already installed Go to -> option -> Subscribe WBEM indication

you can use CLI mxwbemsub to do the same.

3) Now After WBEM Subscription Successful, try the Test again.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

DaveLewis
Occasional Advisor

First of all let me thank all of your for your time and comments.

Let me try and reply to each one.

Andrew : Unfortunetly this is the only box that I'm trying to monitor at this point.  I was sort of using it as a test bed to see how well things were going to work.  all the windows firewalls are disabled on the SIM box.

BPE: I have tried restarting the CIM Server on the esxi host.  from the SIM I am able to see the WBEM information (the subsystems of memory, proc etc etc) .  I don't believe that I have insite remote support ? I'm assuming since the WMI mapper services are running that the account shouldn't be an issue ?

Tushar : I am using a Vanilla ESXi install.  I believe I have all the required components ?

~ # esxcli software vib list | grep hp-smx
hp-smx-provider                500.03.03.20.2-434156                 Hewlett-Packard  VMwareAccepted    2014-01-03
~ #

I have tried resubscribing to the WBEM events again and still no luck.  I will post some screen captures in a few posts to see if anyone has any further thoughts.

Thanks again for the comments.  !

Dave

DaveLewis
Occasional Advisor

Here are some screen captures.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again Dave,

when you have your ESX server selected and choose Configure > Manage Communication you should see two green checks. One for identification and one for the ability to receive events. Do you also see these both green ?

You could also do a configure / repair and select the first to option under step 3 :

1) Create subscription to WBEM events

2) Send a sample WBEM / WMI indication to this instance of HP SIM to test that events appear in HP SIM event lists.

You should then see an events in SIM. You need sign-in credentials for this task

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew