1753789 Members
7486 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: WBEM and ESX

Michigan Dave
Advisor

WBEM and ESX

Does anyone know if HP will ever make WBEM available with ESX. Our whole HPSIM environment uses WBEM except our 5 esx hosts and I'd like to disable SNMP in SIM.
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

As VMware are moving away from ESX to ESXi maybe you should consider going to that.
WBEM is the only option for ESXi.
Michigan Dave
Advisor

I thought the point of ESXi was that you couldn't install anything on it. So even if it uses WBEM, would I put able to install HP SIM agents on there?
shocko
Honored Contributor

I don't think you would be able to install the SNMP agents as the libraries they depend on in the kernel would not be there. Also, wbem is much more secure than SNMP i..e encryption of data sent etc. so you should try and move towards it. I'm in the same boat in that HP Agents are installed on esx hosts and CIM/WBEM on esxi hosts.
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Michigan Dave
Advisor

I think I understand. So with ESXi, I do not need to install any of the HP agents. I just need to enable WBEM?
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

If you install ESXi using the HP version of the installation media you will automatically get the CIM (Common Information Model) providers.
If you use the vmware media you can add the HP CIM providers afterwards by installing the "HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi".

Have a read through this integration note "HP VMware ESXi management environment"
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02000740/c02000740.pdf
for details of how you go about managing ESXi with HP SIM.