HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WBEM and ESXi Status Issue with HP SIM

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

WBEM and ESXi Status Issue with HP SIM

Hi All,
I have a server that was built with vmware's ESXi (v4.0 U1) and then updated with the ESXi Offline bundle (vers. 1.2).
From HPSIM (v5.3 Sp1) I've been able to successfully identify the server (which would indicate wbem credentials are okay) as well as subscribe to wbem events.
From HP SIM I can see details like serial number, BIOS details etc.
But on the main page the Health Status shows as "Major" and when I click on that it goes to a page that indicates the wbem credentials are incorrect.
The credentials show as successfully used in the credentials section of HPSIM, so I don't believe the Health status bit.
Has anyone got further than this? Did you do anything different?
cheers,
Rob.
7 REPLIES
Jov
Honored Contributor

Re: WBEM and ESXi Status Issue with HP SIM

Hi,

You might need to flush credentials for that system as the Health page might hace cached the old.

Jov
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If I knew how to flush WBEM credentials.
I've rebooted the HP SIM Server.
I've also removed the server specific credentials and ensured the global ones match and re-identified the server. This time just the global credentials are listed as successfully used, but the Health Status still fails. I have rerun the HW Polling. That seems to run very quickly. But still I cannot get the Health Status to display the wbem details as it should.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Also downloaded pywbem and used that to test I can pull wbem data from the server. That works fine, so it seems to be something to do with the HPSIM / Health just not accessing wbem correctly.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I remember a similar situation with a Windows server - everything looked fine in the SMH except for the HPSIM health status.

Turned out that an ASR was triggered some time ago. The SMH was working with WBEM and did not provide an interface. After switching the SMH to SNMP it was possible to clear the ASR error and the health status became green.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Uwe,
Thanks, but with ESXi there's no console and therefore no SMH as such. The server is pretty new. Checked the IML (via ILO) and there are no entries there, ASR or otherwise.
The link from both the Health and the Properties page in HPSIM both just go to the page that tells me the wbem credentials are likely to be incorrect.
At this point I don't know what clears those or refreshes that data / credentials.
I've removed the server specific credentials and used global, gone back to server specific and seen the changes in the credentials used on the server page. And the credential used is the top of the list of those checked by HPSIM. ID, Data collection, Discovery tasks all have been run repeatedly.
The next step may be to delete and re-add the server. But getting wbem going in the first place was not trivial.
Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi Rob,

I should have been more specific in my initial post. I was thinking of rediscovering the ESXi server.

On the ESXi server have native WBEM services provided by the vendor?

The issue might not be the credentials, but what health is querying? Is there an error in the logs showing any access failures?

Jov
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I have re-discovered the server, but not at this point deleted and re-added the server.
I started with the native Vmware ESXi implementation and then added the HP CIM bundle which adds to the Vmware CIM providers already there.
I've seen no evidence of login errors, but I'll try and dig into the actual esxi logs a bit more rather than just what virtual center shows.