5612 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: WMI Mapper Proxy Installation/Configuration

Fredrik Kenmo
Occasional Advisor

WMI Mapper Proxy Installation/Configuration

Hi there,

The document "Managing HP servers through firewalls" indicate that the WMI Mapper Proxy service can be used to poll multible servers for status on a remote subnet.

I'm now trying to set this up. My CMS is communicating with server where I have installed WMI Mapper Proxy (I can see traffic on port 5989 and I have confirmed that the server is listening on that port).

I have added the IP-address of the WMI Mapper Proxy to the CMS configuration. It appears in the list of systems with a health status of Normal. However it doesn't seem to sense that this in fact a Proxy?

- What will be the next step for me in order to start monitoring servers on this remote subnet?
- What do I need to do on the actuall servers for them to report back to my CMS server
- Couldn't find any documentation on how to configure the WMI Mapper Proxy (apart from the real basics). Is this covered by any of the manuals?

Thanks for your efforts to help! Much appreciated!

Best regards,
Fredrik
6 REPLIES 6
Fredrik Kenmo
Occasional Advisor

Dear All,

I have made some progress. Turned out I had forgot to set a secondary password for WBEM. Once that was done, the server details for this ONE server shows up in CMS.

I have given it some more thought. Is it required that I install the full HP SIM package on the WMI Mapper Proxy machine in order for me to manage multiple servers on the remote subnet?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Fredrik
Fredrik Kenmo
Occasional Advisor

Dear All,

I will add some more information to this thread so that you will get a better idea. Attached to this is a very simple network diagram outlining my setup.

Monitoring of server A is working, but how do I add server B and C to the CMS? Can I use server A as an proxy and allow CMS to communicate with server B and C?

Best regards,
Fredrik
justin brady_2
Occasional Advisor

Can anyone at HP provide more detailed information on how to add and monitor servers using the WMI mapper Proxy. Is this even possible?
VRC
Valued Contributor

It is possible to manage system across firewall. Have a look at this document.

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/MANAGINGHPServers-withHPSIM.pdf

-VRC.
justin brady_2
Occasional Advisor

I have reviewed the very brief document. It would appear that servers are not really manageable throught firewalls because even if you get the WMI proxy working over 1 port you still need at least TCP ping capability to discover the servers. Not particularly useful. This really means that you need a SIM server per secure zone.
VRC
Valued Contributor

Please read the doc. You don't always need UDP Ping, I think HP is aware that in some customer environment ping is not allowed due to security reasons. You can configure any TCP port to be communicated by HPSIM, for e.g., port 80. By allowing traffic in your firewall to accept connection to port 80 from CMS to target will help manage those device from HPSIM.

Go to Global Protocol Setting page in CMS, you will see a option to use custom port instead of Ping.

-VRC.