108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

WMI (WBEM) on Dell server with Win2003 - Does not support the WBEM protocol

SOLVED
Go to solution
T. Hatl├╕
Advisor

WMI (WBEM) on Dell server with Win2003 - Does not support the WBEM protocol

I've have established SNMP monitoring on the server. According to the white paper "How to manage non-HP x86 Windows servers with HP SIM" SIM will give more detailed information if WBEM is enabled. I've done so but when I choose Tools | System Info | Properties SIM reports "Does not support the WBEM protocol". The CMS is WBEM proxy, the WMI-service is active on the managed server an I have activated WBEM in Protocol settings on the CMS. The WBEM username/password is local administrator on the server. Can anybody help me?
4 REPLIES 4
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: WMI (WBEM) on Dell server with Win2003 - Does not support the WBEM protocol

Don Bitters
Advisor

Install the WMI pegasus WMI mapper in complete mode onto the dell server found in the wmi folder in the hp sim setup installation folder. Make sure WMI provider is installed on the dell. Make sure server administrator 5.1 is installed onto the dell, if not supported, install 4.5. Make sure port 5989 is open. Make sure Enable HTTP and HTTPS is enabled in global settings or half the identification won't work. Under manage system types, delete the dell snmp entries as this overwrites the WBEM identification and is counterproductive for dells. Check Accept unregistered events under event filter settings for the complete dell traps if needed.

Verify the WBEM username as "Domain\user"
T. Hatl├╕
Advisor

Does this mean that WMI/WBEM can provide traps (events) quite as well as SNMP. If yes: How do you tell the dell server to sent events to that particular server (SIM Server)?
Don Bitters
Advisor

WMI/WBEM is nothing more than a way to inventory a system. SNMP is still used, but with dell's, the snmp info can only be sent to the SIM server and not pulled because there are no HP agents on the dell server.

Open up the SNMP service properties and configure the security to accept SNMP from "any" or a particular ip addres and verify that your comunity name is in that list with read and create. Then go to traps and add your comunity name to the comunity list and then in the list below, add all ip address or system names, or FQDN's on where the snmp traps will be sent.

The SIM server will then accept these traps and place them in the events tap of any server that is registered into SIM.