1747985 Members
5012 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

WRONG SERIAL NUMBER - HPSIM

Kimberly Salvatierra
Occasional Contributor

WRONG SERIAL NUMBER - HPSIM

There is something that I can not find the answer to in the SIM manuals or troubleshooting and that is about a serial number for one of my managed systems.

For whatever reason, the System shows the SN as 2UA352TEST. This isn't correct and it won't let me change it in the "edit properties" screen.

How do I get the correct serial number to display?
3 REPLIES 3
G Edwards
Advisor

Re: WRONG SERIAL NUMBER - HPSIM

Is the serial number stored in the device actually correct?

If the system is a Proliant server then go into the RBSU (Rom Based Setup Utility) during POST and check the Serial Number setting. I think it is under the "System properties" or "Advanced" settings.
G Edwards
Advisor

I should explain that the incorrect serial number usually happens when a system board is replaced during a repair call.

The replacement board comes from the factory with either a blank or board serial number.

The HP Engineer should update the Serial number after board replacement, but sometimes we forget :-)

Also, when you go to change the serial number in RBSU, you will get a popup with a dire warning that changing the serial number could cause some unspecified bad things to happen. You can safely ignore this - just make sure that the serial number you enter matches the serial number on the sticker on the chassis.
Kimberly Salvatierra
Occasional Contributor

I will try this the next time the employee steps away from her machine.

I guess I should have mentioned the first time that I had this same exact error w/two other machines but they fixed themselves so I didn't panic (like now, lol).

I will let you know how it turned out!

Thank you!