2646 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Waiting on IPMI initialization on ESX 3.5 U3

KSF77
Occasional Contributor

Waiting on IPMI initialization on ESX 3.5 U3

Hi,

I have recently built three (two BL685c G1's and one G5) via an RDP solution using kick start scripts and the build has come down ok, in fact everything appears to be working fine, but on pressing Alt-F1 the following message is displayed...

hpIoctl: Waiting on IPMI initialization

If I ignore the message and try to logon it will overtype the message and allow me to logon. If I then exit the session it goes back to a logon prompt and the message is gone, but returns after a reboot?

The build does load the hpmgmt agent version 8.1.1 (also tested with 8.2), and whilst that appears to have installed ok it does cause this message because when I remove this from the build I do not get the message.

Has anyone seen this? Is it a problem?

I saw a thread on the VMware forums where someone mentioned running 'chkconfig --level 0123456 ipmi off' to turn off this check - is that the answer?

Any help will be much appreciated :o)
3 REPLIES 3
Jerry Dyson

I have the exact same problem on DL585G5s. Anyone have the answer?
Rudin Sven
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem. I have added the new HP Mgmt driver in the rdp solution and build in the new step with pre_install.sh.
But i have always the message:
Waiting on IPMI initialization on ESX 3.5 U3
KSF77
Occasional Contributor

A brief update.

I have tried 'chkconfig --level ipmi off' and this did not remove the message.

I have completed a build without the HPIM agent and the message does not appear, but reappears after installing the agent.

I have logged this with HP and I am awaiting a formal answer.