After updating my Insight to 5.3 i get an Warning Event like this:

Event Identification and Details

Event Severity: Warning
Cleared Status: Not cleared
Event Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Associated System: xxxxxxxx
Associated System Status: Normal
Event Time: Mo, 26.01.2009, 09:58 CET
Description: If this system is not being identified as HP Virtual Partition or not correctly associated to its host, please ensure that HP Virtual Partition WBEM instrumentation is properly installed and running before re-identify the system to fix this problem.

after any restart AND any identification in Insight. Therefore i had to disable the daily identify-task...

How can i disable these Messages ? What is "HP Virtual Partition WBEM instrumentation" ? Our platform ist Windows Server 2003.

Any help please.
54 REPLIES
Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

Re: Warning Event "HP Virtual Partition Configuration" after 5.3 Update

Got the same issue on one of our VMWare ESX 3.5 U3 hosts. Would be nice what might cause the issue? (WBEM, Pegasus SMI-S provider etc.) Two identical ESX hosts work fine. Our CMS is now at version HPSIM 5.3 on RHEL5.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please assign a KUDO to this post, if you find it useful.
James D. Young
Frequent Advisor

I have the same problem, every server caused an email as stated. I had to disable the Daily task as well to get it to stop. This has to be new since i just updated to 5.3 when i started getting this.
Marco Gubitzer
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
same problem here after updating SIM to version 5.3. The problem concerns all sort of servers, not only VMware. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

M. Gubitzer
Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

Can you confirm Java error messages in mxdomainmgr.0.log and mxinventory.0.log?
---
Marco Gubitzer
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, no Java-errors in the logs here. Only the "HP Virtual Partition Configuration" warnings in SIM console, which can only be cleared, but not be deleted, because they "are in a pending state"...
JasonWoerner
Frequent Advisor

Same error for me, only appearing on the CMS after the 5.3 installation. Are we to assume this message is entirely bogus? I don't know what an HP Virtual Partition is.
Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

An "Virtual Partition" describes all HP SIM supported virtualization platforms support like VMWare, HPVM, Xen.

I think there is a reason for this, cause the issue does not affect all our ESX hosts. This one host had problems before the upgrade to 5.3. It's plattform was reported wrong and no VMs where found on it.
---
James D. Young
Frequent Advisor

Virtual would imply some sort of virtual environment on the box it is reporting about. But most of these are regular servers not even inside a hypervisor. My ESX environment is only about 20% of the servers inside Insight manager.
Marco Gubitzer
Occasional Advisor

In my case, these messages only appear for real servers and can't be deleted, because they are in a pending state. The ESX-Servers don't show these events.
MattLavallee2
Frequent Advisor

Getting the same issue myself. Strangely enough, it did pick up the VMs in our Hyper-V environment, but I'm getting the error on VM hosts and physical servers (not the VMs themselves).

I couldn't find any documentation on the HP Virtual Partition WBEM Instrumentation either.
swsadmin
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I got a lot of the same Messages, also from Physical Windows Servers.

I think the Virtual Partition Message is from the HPUX Virtual Partition Manager.
(Configure > Partition Management)

But I do not have any HPUX.

Armin
brian hintz
Occasional Visitor

I have been receiving these messages since 5.3 was installed late last week. I found an option to uncheck support for HP-UX inside SIM.

Under Options > Managed Environment, uncheck HP-UX

Don't know if this will work yet but it's worth a shot.
Frank Schray
Occasional Visitor

I also started receiving these messages with the update to 5.3. They only appear on half of our physical boxes. HP-UX is not enabled.
Currently I have disabled WBEM and they appear to have stopped. I need WBEM so I am hoping there is another answer.
Marco Gubitzer
Occasional Advisor

Deactivated the HP-UX-Option, no change. The "old" "HP Virtual Partition Configuration"-warnings also still can't be deleted.
I think, it would be time for anyone at HP to answer in this thread, because it seems, that there are a lot of people experiencing the same problem with SIM 5.3
Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

I was able to resolve the "HP Virtual Partition Configuration" warning by rebooting that one affected ESX host some days ago. Since the last cold boot event, no further warnings has been reported to HP SIM and everything is green. So I guess it might be caused by an issue in the Pegasus CIMOM on that host. We're running VMWare ESX 3.5 Update 3 (build 130756).

Kind regards,
Sebastian
---
Frank Schray
Occasional Visitor

I disabled WBEM in Global Protocol settings last Thursday. I enabled WBEM Friday afternoon. I have not received any errors since I enabled WBEM. I have made no other changes so in my case just disabling and enabling WBEM stopped the errors.
Mark Weidinger
Occasional Visitor

Anyone find a solution to this one? We upgraded to 5.3 late last week and I came in to 600+ emails this morning with this alert.

Thanks

I had a flurry of these at first right after the SIM 5.3 upgrade and then I think maybe upgrading to SMH 3.0.0.64 might have stopped them? Anywho, however they stopped, I couldn't delete them. Turns out there is a way using SQL Server Management Studio Express http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displaylang=en. Just be very careful not to delete the discovered systems events.
Frank Schray
Occasional Visitor

I just disabled WBEM for one night and when I enabled it again the errors stopped.
Mark Weidinger
Occasional Visitor

I disabled WBEM and the re-enabled it and that had no effect. I will go ahead and disable it and let it sit overnight that way and check it out in the morning. Thanks.
grvnetteam
Advisor

We had the same issue with our ML370 G3. After reading some threads about this, I followed the diasble WBEM, wait a day, and re-enable. I then allowed SIM to run an Identification and Data Collection against it, and no more errors.

I hope this helps.
Jürgen Büchs
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I'm also getting these kind of events from servers, which are neigher a VM host nor virtual server.

Is there a solution and how can the existing events be cleaned up using MS SQL Server Management Studio Express?

Thanks
NMCI Group
Advisor

I am also seeing these events since upgrading to 5.3. I seem to be getting these events from all of my HPUX servers. I would like to not have to disable WBEM since I rely on it for my hardware events. Is there another solution to this one HP?
H. Schöbel
Advisor

I think i solved the problem with installing (updateing) the latest WMI-Mapper on CMS-Server. You can found here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-e821d8f5efc54e34b51ed9f69f
Can anyone proof this ?