Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753797 Members
7095 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Warranty check - incomplete information?

Rytis
Occasional Advisor

Warranty check - incomplete information?

Hello,
I am having issues with warranty information about old ML 350 G3 servers - SIM shows incorrect and incomplete information.
For example we have two servers G3 and G4.
For G3, which is more than 3 years old, SIM shows the following information:
------------------------
Serial Number ********
Product Number 311525-421
Product Description ML350T03 X2.8/533 SA641 EURO
Warranty Type Base Warranty
Start Date 31 Jan 2008
------------------------
And that`s all! There is no info about warranty start/end dates, etc. And start date is nonsense.

For G4 server, SIM shows more information:
------------------------
Serial Number *********
Product Number 356005-421
Product Description ML350T04 X3.2/800-1M HP-SC 641 EURO

Warranty Type Base Warranty
Start Date 21 Aug 2005

Wty: HP HW Maintenance Onsite Support
Status Active
Start Date 21 Aug 2005
End Date 19 Sep 2008
Service Level Standard Material Handling , Global Coverage etc.
------------------------
I get identical information about servers via HP warranty check website.

Does anybody knows what`s happening with warranty check and why information is incomplete?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I have found that unless you have brand new G5 servers, the Warranty tool in SIM is pretty useless. It outright fails to collect any information at most G3 servers. You have to manually figure out what the part number is (and good luck with that, cause even that is not clearly provided on the outside of the server) and then type that in to the tool before it will collect the warranty information. Try doing that for 100s of servers scattered across 30 cities :(

I have also seen the problem you describe, but not as frequently.

So I guess I don't have a solution for you, other than misery loves company.

Nelson
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

If you can get the Product Number from just one of that particular model G3 server, then you can fill it in manually, then re-run the "Contract and Warranty collection" on that server.

For servers you don't know the exact product number for, you can just use any product number that matches that similar hardware, and when you run the "Contract and Warranty collection" against the server, 80% it will just accept the product number as good, the rest of the time it will actually respond back and tell you what the product number is supposed to be. Then you can cut and paste it in.

Go figure. Somewhat time consuming, but way faster than running around to every server and looking forward product numbers.

You can also get a generic product number for each model server from HP's part surfer. Use the same trick to get the real one.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I was already kind of doing that. The DL380 G3 has soooo many part numbers, I did not realize you could interchange them all. Now I know :)

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Case in point:

The DL560 can not be detected by the Warranty Check. So I go down to my DC and cannot find a part number anywhere on the front or back of the server (and I would need to shut it down to pull it out of the cabinet to check the rest of it).

So I go here:

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Multi_Product.asp?mscssid=RQ204H3NGD8T8JRK8C2DJ3MNSBUJ9DC7&SearchCriteria=DL560

As you can see, there are roughly about 90 different part numbers here. Since I don't see the 3.00 GHz model that I own, I am assuming it is one of the models that is not described with a CPU speed in it (the middle section with the majority of the part numbers listed).

So you are telling me that I can pick ANY of these part numbers and it will work (80% of the time)?

I guess I can try it :)

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Well, the first one I tried came back with bogus information:

Start Date Sun, 9/30/2007, 12:00 AM CDT
End Date Sun, 9/30/2007, 12:00 AM CDT
Status EXPIRED_WARRANTY
Last Collection Fri, 5/2/2008, 10:22 AM CDT

I will try a few more...
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

The second one I tried fails altogether:

Sending contract and warranty request to the hp.com back-end contract and warranty service using Service Essentials Remote Support Pack client.
Processing response from hp.com back-end contract and warranty service.
HP SIM received an error from the back-end contract and warranty service at hp.com, additional details are below.
Product number was not found: 246638R-031