1751939 Members
4976 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Warranty lookup in SIM 5.1

TimMC
Advisor

Warranty lookup in SIM 5.1

So when I try to update the contract/warranty info on my SIM 5.1 installation, I receive and error msg that the service is not running. This is even after entering the correct product ID.

What seems to work for me is to delete the server from SIM, re-add it, enter in the product ID (why can't they just use the serial number???), then Options/Contract / Warranty data collection.

I thought it might be the version of the Insight Agents installed but that is not it. I have used agents as old as 7.1.

Please say this is a bug and I don't have to delete and re-add my 600+ servers!!
7 REPLIES 7
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Well, you got further than I did. I can't even get the warranty piece to show up in SIM at all. I went through the "Remote Software Manager" walk through and that went fine, but nothing has ever showed up in SIM.
Cindy Osborn
Valued Contributor

did you go to the remote support and enable that and register sim? I found that I didn't get all the remote support options until I did this. Also did you have the original ISEE model 3 installed previously? All of the original ISEE and OSEM software has to be uninstalled.

After you added the correct product ID did you also run the enable remote support for that server?

They are trying to use the serial number but it depends on several things on the back end and how your contracts are in their system. For some of my servers there are multiple product ID's on their side.

James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Maybe I'm just really confused as to how this is all supposed to work.

Right now, I do not have any ISEE in place on any servers. I'm not sure if I need it to be there or not.

The only thing I've done so far is clicked on "Remote Support Software Manager (Windows Administrators only)" from the Desktop of the SIM. I went through all the configuration and it accepted it.

Now back in SIM, I don't see anything in relation to "Remote Support". Maybe I'm missing a step or I really don't understand what to do next. I couldn't find a good guide for this.

Any help would be appreciated because this sounds like a great tool that we could use, but so far it doesn't seem to be easy to setup.
Cindy Osborn
Valued Contributor

It's not an easy setup. I only know because I was a pilot testor for it. They are working on a lot of improvements from the pilots and that is supposed to be out end of Feb.

Under Options do you have a remote support configuration and services? Have you filled out this page and clicked on the bottom button. I think it was register or submit or something like that the first time.
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Thanks Cindy, appreciate the help.

I don't have the "Remote Support" under Options in SIM. So some piece must be missing. Perhaps I will have to wait until things are ironed out.
Cindy Osborn
Valued Contributor

James,

You might try what Jay posted on the Contract and Warranty Data Collection Question thread.
TimMC
Advisor

I ended up calling Hp Support and they walked me through a re-install.

The important thing is, I guess, that you install Remote Support logged in with the same ID you installed SIM with.

I did that this time and it worked a lot better. No more re-adding all 600+ servers.