Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753725 Members
4963 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What are the proper ports with Windows 2003?

Andrew Lupton
Advisor

What are the proper ports with Windows 2003?

Alright, I'm getting frustrated with this topic... many entries but no solutions, that I can find...
I have SIM in a remote site attempting to connect to various servers remotely...
Remotely, I have several Win2K3 servers, firewalled with ports open for 280, 2301, 2381, 5988, 5989 (for Wbem), SSH, etc. and SIM does NOT collect data; it either cannot connect or tells me that there are no instrumentation agents installed or the system is inaccessible via "some protocol, check configuration". If I turn the Windows firewall off, ALLL WORKS FINE, if I enable it, SIM cannot connect even with all the above ports enabled. Where in the HECK can I find the right ports to open to make SIM work???? I want no more open than necessary so can SOMEONE reference a SIM port list that actually works properly???
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Andrew,

You mention some ports and "etc", but I still have to ask. Did you allow snmp through the firewall? My understanding is you need snmp (161/udp) from the CMS to the device(s) and snmptrap (162/udp) from the device(s) back to the CMS. While I haven't been able to get VCS configured/working through a firewall, I am collecting data with a config similar to yours (I did not enable 280, 5988, 5989, or 22 for example).
Andrew Lupton
Advisor

kc2kth; Yes sorry... ETC. is not quite appropriate when asking for help. :)

Yes. All the recommended ports are enabled, including SMTP. I even installed the WMIMapper on one of the remotes to see if that helped. It didn't.

Albert, thanks for the link, that was very helpful but I have it configured just as the doc recommends.

I do show firewall blocks for C:\WINDOWS\system32\CPQMgmt\CqMgHost\cqmghost.exe but the UDP ports are always different.