Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753427 Members
4904 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Where do the agents install the MIBs?

plsntnrules
Occasional Advisor

Where do the agents install the MIBs?

I am in a rather peculiar postion of having to monitor our vmware esx 3.0.1 servers using sitescope insted of HP SIM server.

I want to be able to monitor the health of the server hardware. For example is the array having problems, has one of the drives gone bad, has one of the NICs gone bad. etc.

I have installed the 7.7.0 SIM agents and can get to the systems management page fine.

But the issue is how do I get sitescope to interpret hardware alerts and errors from this server?

Are there MIBs installed when we install the 7.7.0 agent? If yes then where are they installed? I could try and compile them on the sitescope servver and then see if it returns anything I can work with...

Essentially what i am tryting to do is to be able to collect "Hardware" alerts WITHOUT using an HP SIM server BUT using the HP SIM Agent.

thanks for any help....
4 REPLIES 4
jfranciskay
Advisor

We also have a separate hardware monitoring system and do not use SIM. You should just be able to point your SNMP alerts to the sitescope server. We point the SNMP trap destinations to our alert machines, load the MIBs and are good to go. Everytime you get a HW alert it will go out through SNMP to the defined destinations.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The agents typically don't have the MIBs, HPSIM does as it's what needs them to decode the traps.
They can be found in the HPSIM Installation MIB directory - not near an HPSIm server so I can't be more specific.
plsntnrules
Occasional Advisor

jfranciskay;

That is exactly what I am trying to do.

How did you do it?
How did you configure your SNMP alerts to go to sitescope?

Is it possible to list the steps?

thanks
jfranciskay
Advisor

Actually I don't have sitescope, we use a program written in-house. All you have to do is go to the "trap destinations" tab in the SNMP service on your Windows machine and put in the IP or name of the sitescope (or whatever you use). The MIB's are needed to decode the traps on the destination end, not on the Windows/Client side.